Why do you need a thermostat?
A temperature regulator installed on radiators allows you to control the amount of heat entering a particular room by increasing or decreasing the flow of heat transfer fluid. With its help, you can not only set a comfortable temperature in each room, but also save money if the apartment is equipped with a heat meter..
In apartment buildings, when the room temperature is too high, the owners are forced to open the vents, while heating the street. If you have to pay for heat according to the standards, as is often the case in Khrushchev buildings, then this is not so scary. But in the presence of heat meters, the residents’ money literally flies out the window. And another situation: it makes no sense to fully heat the apartment when no one is at home.
The position of the owners of autonomous heating systems is more advantageous. They can regulate the supply of heat to the apartment at the outlet of the boiler. But without the use of thermostats, it will not work to provide a comfortable temperature regime in all rooms..
Why exactly a thermostat?
In addition to the thermostat, you can limit the flow of the coolant into the battery using a ball valve or a cone valve. But their use is associated with significant inconveniences:
- The ball valve is designed to operate in only two modes: open or closed. When working in intermediate positions, it will quickly fail..
- It is necessary to regulate the flow of warm water with both devices manually and quite often. With a large number of rooms, this is long and inconvenient..
Installing thermostats on heating radiators will solve this problem. After installation and adjustment, the thermostat will automatically maintain the set temperature, regulating the flow of hot water into the battery.
It is more difficult with cast iron radiators. Due to the high thermal inertness of the material (cast iron heats up slowly and cools down just as slowly), it is impossible to quickly and accurately adjust the temperature.
What the thermostat consists of?
This device has two main parts: a thermal valve and a thermostatic head. Manufacturers produce several options for different pipelines and heat systems.
The thermostatic head can be removed if necessary. It is allowed to put dissimilar types of regulators on one valve (they may differ by manufacturer).
The most modern are electric heating radiators with thermostats, which are installed by the manufacturer at the factory.
The device and principle of operation of the thermostat
Any automatic radiator valve consists of 2 parts:
- Thermostatic valve with an actuator for shutting off the heating medium flow.
- Thermal head with a control element that responds to changes in air temperature.
The valve, made of brass, has a traditional mechanism with a working cone that fits into the seat and thus reduces its flow area. The difference from a conventional manual valve is that the cone is attached to a spring-loaded push rod that extends outward. Pressing the end of the rod is carried out by the second element – the thermal head. The stronger the pressure, the smaller the flow area. The diagram below shows the assembly of the radiator regulator assembly:
Inside the thermostatic head is a small sealed container filled with a heat-sensitive medium – liquid or gas. When heated, this medium expands, the container increases and presses more strongly on the stem, blocking the flow of the coolant. When cooling, the process goes in the opposite direction, which is the principle of operation of the thermal head. Scaled adjustment knob mechanically limits the maximum valve opening.
Important. The thermostat installed on the battery affects only the flow rate of the coolant, changing it in one direction or another. The thermostat is not a regulator of the water temperature, that is, it performs quantitative regulation, but not qualitative.
The valve body is made of corrosion-resistant metal, nickel-plated or chrome-plated on top.
Valves are made from the following materials:
- bronze with nickel or chrome plating;
- brass with a nickel layer;
- stainless steel.
Valves made of stainless steel are considered the best. They are chemically neutral, do not corrode, and do not react with other metals. Their price is higher than that of nickel-plated or chrome-plated. Stainless steel valves are not often on sale, therefore, most often in houses or apartments you can see bronze or brass products.
Valves made of bronze or brass do not differ in terms of service life. It all depends on how well the alloy is made. As for the products of well-known manufacturers, the question of quality does not arise. Whether or not to trust unknown manufacturers is controversial. However, when buying, you need to pay attention to the fact that the flux vector is shown on the body. Without this arrow, the product is not of high quality.
Distinguish between valves and the way of execution. Depending on how the heater is installed, the valves can be angled or straight.
Battery Valve Overview
There is a wide variety of these products of different companies and modifications on the market:
- Danphos RA-G and RA-N thermostats. They are angular or straight, for one-pipe or two-pipe systems. Made of nickel-plated brass. Withstand pressure of 10 bar. Diameter 1.5 and 2.0 cm.
- Sets of thermostats from BROEN. Straight lines with the possibility of a fixed setting, for a two-pipe system, with a diameter of 1.5 and 2.0 cm.Material of manufacture – brass with a nickel plating.
What are the thermostatic radiator heads
Thermostatic heads are of the following types:
They have the same purpose, but the custom properties are different:
- Handheld devices operate on the principle of conventional valves. When the regulator is turned in one direction or another, the coolant flow opens or closes. Such a system will not be expensive, it is reliable, but not very comfortable. To change the heat transfer, you must adjust the head yourself.
- Mechanical – more complex in the device, they can maintain the desired temperature in a given mode. The device is based on a bellows filled with gas or liquid. Heating up, the temperature agent expands, the cylinder increases in volume and presses on the rod, blocking more and more the flow channel of the coolant. Thus, less coolant flows into the radiator. When the gas or liquid cools, the bellows decreases, the stem opens slightly, and a larger volume of the coolant flow rushes into the radiator. A mechanical thermostat for a heating radiator is quite convenient to use and popular among consumers due to its ease of maintenance.
- Electronic thermostats are large in size. In addition to massive thermostatic elements, they come with two batteries. The stem is controlled by a microprocessor. The models have quite large functionality. You can set the temperature regime in the room for a certain time. For example, the bedroom will be cooler at night, warmer in the morning. In those hours when the family is at work, the temperature can be lowered, and raised in the evening. Such models are large, they must be installed on high-quality heating devices in order to operate without problems for several years. Their cost is quite high..
Is there a difference between liquid and gas bellows? It is believed that gas responds better to changes in temperature, but such devices are more complex and expensive. Liquid ones do their job well, but they are a little “clumsy” in response. You can set the required temperature regime and maintain it with an accuracy of 1 degree. Therefore, a thermostat with a liquid bellows successfully solves the issues of regulating the supply of coolant to the heater..
Remote temperature sensors
Sometimes it is required to install a thermostat for a heating radiator with a remote sensor.
The thermostatic head must be installed in such a way that it “looks” towards the room. This is a prerequisite for accurate temperature determination. But in reality, this cannot always be done. The device may not “fit” into the installation of the radiator due to its size. An external sensor, which is connected to the thermal head with a capillary tube, will help out. Placed anywhere where you want to measure the ambient temperature. The distance from the sensor to the thermal head can be about two meters or more.
When installing the sensor, the following conditions must be observed:
- At floor level, the air gap is colder, so the temperature sensors must be raised at least 0.8 meters.
- There should be no heat sources nearby.
- Do not shine direct sunlight on the device..
- The device must not be covered with furniture or heavy curtains..
- The sensor is fixed to the wall with staples.
This way of adjusting the room temperature is very convenient. But these thermostats are more expensive than manual controls. This should be taken into account when deciding how to choose a thermostat for a heating radiator.
Thermostatic heads of different companies with a range of operating temperatures from 0 to 40 degrees above zero, allow you to adjust the temperature in the room in the range from 6 to 28 degrees. Among them are the following devices:
- Danfoss living eco, electronic programmable model.
- Danfoss RA 2994, mechanical type, equipped with a gas bellows.
- Danfoss RAW-K mechanical, differs in that the bellows is filled not with gas, but with liquid and is intended for steel panel radiators.
- HERZ H 1 7260 98, mechanical type, the bellows is filled with liquid, the device of this company will cost a little less.
- Oventrop "Uni XH" and "Uni CH"with liquid bellows, mechanically tuned.
How thermo valves are regulated
If you put the thermostat head in the extreme left position, the temperature in the room will start to rise. A prerequisite is that the door must be closed. When the room becomes 5-7 degrees higher than the desired one, the thermostat is turned to the right. The heater starts to cool down. The regulator handle should be smoothly turned to the right until the temperature drops to the required comfortable level. As soon as the coolant makes a noise, the heater will start to warm up. It should be noted at which digit the mark is placed. This will be the reference point required to adjust the desired temperature..
Thus, you can change the settings of the regulator as many times as necessary. It is not difficult to do this, it is enough to carefully follow the instructions once..
Almost all models of thermostats from different manufacturers are configured according to the same principle. The exception is complex programmable devices where a specialist is required..
The thermostat for an electric heating radiator performs the same function, but the setting is slightly different.
Factors that influence the settings of the regulator:
- drafts or frequent ventilation of the room;
- a sharp change in the temperature level outside;
- directed sun rays;
- presence near
- thermostat of other, closely located sources of thermal radiation or, conversely, cold (pipelines, refrigerator);
- violations during the installation of the device;
- incorrect initial settings.
The need to install thermostats
Such mechanisms are used for the following purposes:
- saving heat generated during heating;
- maintaining a comfortable temperature indicator at home.
Many owners still use traditional methods to solve the second problem, such as covering radiators with blankets or opening windows for ventilation. However, a much more modern solution would be to install a device such as a heating temperature controller, which affects the flow rate of the coolant in the heating system and can work both manually and automatically..
It is very important to remember that during installation it is extremely important to have a special jumper located directly in front of the heater. If it does not exist, the coolant flow will not be regulated by the radiator, as it should be done with a simple riser
How necessary are thermal sensors?
When heating in an apartment or in a private house, it is important to ensure the ability to control the level of heating of heat carriers and heating the air inside the heated rooms. Temperature microsensors for heating record and transmit this information. Such information can be read visually or transmitted directly to the controller..
Where are thermostats usually installed??
The optimal place for placing the thermostat is the heater (radiator) itself, provided that it is not covered with curtains, decorative grilles or other interior items. Violation of this rule leads to an inadequate assessment of the temperature level in the room..
This rule can be circumvented by using a thermostatic element with a remote sensor located from the valve at a distance of 2 to 8 meters. In this case, the temperature level control will be carried out at the location of the sensor. Also, temperature regulators for heating batteries can be installed on a horizontal section of the pipeline near the point of entry into the heater..
When the manual thermostat completely blocks the flow of the coolant into the radiator, its circulation in the system will continue along the jumper pipe
If the installation of the equipment is carried out in accordance with the instructions and compliance with all building codes and regulations, then temperature control can be made in the range from 5 ° C to 30 ° C in increments of one degree. This range may be different on some models, so check this information before purchasing..
Types of thermal heads for batteries
Under the thermal head for the radiator, take the upper replaceable part of the device.
There are several types of it:
A thermal head of a mechanical type of a thermostatic regulator for batteries is considered a basic configuration, on the basis of which various modifications are produced that differ in cost and characteristics. Top-level manufacturers produce products in which the valve is compatible with any thermocouple.
A manual thermostat is essentially the same valve that works in a similar way. That is, when the handle is rotated, the amount of the passing heat carrier changes. The only difference is that the manual mechanism can be removed by replacing it with a mechanical or electronic device. At the same time, the case itself does not need to be removed or changed, it is universal. The main thing is to know how to remove the temperature controller from the battery.
The electronic thermal head is considered the most expensive and massive. Batteries can be inserted into the case of this option; there are special niches for this. The main difference is great opportunities. For example, you can maintain a stable temperature throughout the entire time..
In addition, it is possible to set specific values by day of the week or hours. If the tenants are not in the apartment during the day, then it is not necessary to create a comfortable microclimate at this time. It is enough to program the thermal head and by a certain time the air in the room will warm up to the set temperature.
It follows from this that with the help of an electronic thermal head, you can save on heating, while maintaining the level of comfort..
Depending on the temperature agent used, temperature controllers on the heating radiator are divided into two types:
When choosing a device on this basis, you should pay attention that both options have a sufficiently high quality level, almost the same reaction rate to temperature changes. At the same time, the manufacture of a liquid thermostat is simpler, and the range is wider.
The main selection criterion should be the temperature range that the device can support. In most cases, these are values from +6 to +26 degrees with small deviations. By the way, the cost of the thermal head, its size, appearance and connection method depends on the width of the range..
Classification of thermostats
There are several types of thermostats that can be distinguished:
- the simplest option is with mechanical adjustment. An example is the aforementioned cone valve. The adjustment accuracy in this case is low;
- in automatic devices, due to the deformation of the bellows (the principle of operation is discussed below), the coolant current is automatically adjusted;
- It is worth noting also the regulators with electronic control. In this case, a person just needs to select the operating mode on the display or set the desired temperature in the room. The automation will do the rest.
You can also select a group of devices with an external temperature sensor. In this case, the sensor is located at a distance of several meters from the regulator, which allows it to more adequately respond to changes in the air temperature in the room..
A remote temperature sensor is the optimal solution for those cases when the heating battery is located in a sufficiently deep niche and a conventional thermostat does not quite correctly track the change in the air temperature in the room.
Heating can be regulated in a slightly different way. If you place a block with a temperature sensor directly in the room, and the regulator in the boiler room, then instead of adjusting the flow rate of the coolant, you can change its temperature. This approach makes sense when heating large rooms, because the heat transfer of all radiators changes at once.
Some thermostats for radiators can control the temperature not indoors, but outdoors. This allows the heating system to quickly respond to changing weather conditions without waiting for the room temperature to change..
In the past, devices were popular that directly monitored the temperature of the coolant in the system (for this, immersion sensors were used). Now such regulators are considered outdated and practically not used..
How the thermostatic valve works
The first thermostats for radiators, designed to maintain a constant temperature in a room, were invented back in 1943 by DANFOSS, which also holds the leading position in the market for the production and sale of such devices. For this reason, our article will be based on the materials and recommendations of the DANFOSS company, whose many years of experience are beyond doubt..
Over the years since the invention, thermostats for radiators have changed and become what we know them. Structurally, they consist of two main elements: a valve and a thermal head, which are interconnected by a locking mechanism. The purpose of the thermal head is to perceive the ambient temperature and to regulate it, act on the actuator – the valve, it also blocks the flow of the coolant entering the heater.
This control method is called quantitative, since the device affects the flow rate of the coolant passing into the radiator. There is another method – a qualitative one, with its help the temperature of the water in the system changes. This is carried out by a temperature controller (mixing unit) installed in a boiler room or heating point..
To understand the principle of operation of the thermal head, it is proposed to study the diagram of the device shown in section:
Inside the cell body there is a bellows filled with a heat-sensitive medium. It is of two types:
Liquid bellows are easier to manufacture, but they are inferior to gas bellows in terms of speed, so the latter are very widespread. So, when the air temperature rises, the substance in a closed space expands, the bellows expands and presses on the valve stem. That, in turn, moves down a special cone, which reduces the flow area of the valve. As a result, the flow rate of the coolant decreases. When the ambient air is cooled, everything happens in the reverse order, the amount of flowing water increases to a maximum, this is the principle of operation of the thermostat.
Benefits of using a thermostat
Modern thermostats have many advantages. One of them is extreme ease of use. Such devices are easy to install and further use, it is completely easy to figure it out. Modern devices contribute to the creation of the most favorable and comfortable indoor environment. They allow you to significantly save on heating and use resources as efficiently as possible..
In addition to maintaining the required temperature and creating a comfortable microclimate, it is very important to save heat energy. So, for example, in apartments that are heated by means of centralized heating, for additional savings, it is necessary to install thermostats and a heat energy meter, and in the case of individual heating, all savings come down to a decrease in the amount of energy consumed, which is achieved with the help of thermostats.
If the heating is only at the planning and development stage, it is best to buy radiators with already built-in thermostats. However, installing a thermostat will not cause any difficulties in the case of ready-made systems. You just need to tune in to work and prepare the necessary tools for this..
Thermostat connection set
- Grinder, hacksaw or jigsaw.
- Set of wrenches.
- Pipe couplings.
- Plumbing paste.
Prepare everything you need in advance so as not to be distracted in the future by looking for missing items.
Advantages and disadvantages of thermostats
Installation of the thermostat is very simple. We advise you to use the installation diagrams presented in this review..
Definitely, the temperature sensor has more advantages:
- Ease of installation and management. It is possible to mount a mechanical device without assistance and special skills, with a minimum of tools. The controls for mechanical and car models are simple: the temperature is set by turning a wheel or pressing a button.
- Install a thermostat together with a gas meter and this will significantly reduce your utility costs. According to estimates, for an average apartment, the installation of a thermostat and a meter can give up to 20% savings on energy consumption.
- Advanced models allow you to program the boiler for an hour, a day or even a month. The temperature is set depending on the activity of the owners of the house.
- The system does not require operating costs.
But the device is not without its drawbacks:
- Complex elements require specialist intervention and verified installation. And the cost of a high-quality auto-programmer will be at least $ 300.
- Curtains can interfere with the correct temperature reading. When lowered, the sensor will have to take temperature data behind the curtain. In such a situation, it is necessary to put a mobile sensor in the room..
- Low accuracy of the set temperature with manual valves and the inconvenience of manual adjustment to each battery.
- Mechanical models need to be tweaked after installation. If the element is incorrectly installed, the temperature control is violated.
The need to adjust heat transfer
There are two reasons why heating radiators need to be adjusted:
- Reducing the cost of heating your home. True, in an apartment located in a multi-storey building, it is possible to reduce the amount of payments only if there is a common house heat meter. In a private household, in the case of installing an automated boiler, the installation of regulators is unlikely to be required. The amount of savings will be significant.
- The presence of the need to maintain the desired temperature regime in the premises. For example, in one room it may be 17 degrees Celsius, and in another – 25 degrees. To do this, you need to set the appropriate numbers on the thermal head or close the valve.
Gas or liquid thermostats
What is the difference between gas-filled and liquid-filled bellows? There is a difference, and it would be better to know about it when buying!
- Gas devices have a long service life – about 20 years. At the same time, the gas very smoothly reacts to temperature changes, which does not cause excessive sharp loads on the equipment..
- Liquid ones, on the contrary, work quickly, which has a slightly stronger effect on the wear of working parts, but allows you to quickly respond to a drop or rise in temperature. They work more accurately than gas.
- In liquid thermostats, the sensor can be remote or built-in. If it is built-in, then the device is placed in a horizontal position to reduce the influence of convection flows from the radiator and pipes.
- It is advisable to install remote-type sensors when the device is closed with thick curtains that affect heat transfer, the thermostat is located vertically, the radiator is installed in a deep wall niche or too close to the windowsill
The following factors can affect the temperature in the room, and therefore the operation of the mechanical thermostat:
- Outside temperature.
- Ventilation or draft.
- Additional sources of cold or heat (refrigerator, hot water piping, electric heaters, etc.).
Maintaining a comfortable temperature depends on how the battery-operated thermostats work and on the correct setting. This process involves the following actions:
- Turn on the heating and close the door to the room.
- In the place where it is planned to carry out temperature control, a thermometer is installed.
- Turn the regulator knob to the left until it stops, completely opening the coolant flow.
- Wait until the temperature value rises by 5-6 points.
- Turn the head to the extreme right position, thereby blocking the coolant flow. This should lead to a gradual cooling of the air in the room..
- When a comfortable temperature is established in the room, they begin to open the valve. The head is turned until the case heats up and the coolant starts to make noise. You can leave the thermal head in this position, as the temperature has reached a comfortable value. For the convenience of the consumer, most devices have a digital scale by which you can navigate during settings and further operation..
Adjusting the thermostat cannot be called a complex process, so you can independently calibrate in accordance with certain conditions. In most cases, this procedure follows a standard scheme, although some models have some exceptions. You can find out how to install the regulator on the battery in the product passport..
Balancing the central heating system
During normal operation of the heating network, all radiators should receive the same heat. But in the event that the heating batteries are not properly balanced, then at the beginning of the circuit the radiators will be too hot, and at the end barely warm.
Let’s see how you can solve this problem. In order to control the fluid flow through the system, it is necessary to install a double regulation valve on each heater. Moreover, if at the beginning of the chain part of the valves are closed, it is possible to ensure the distribution of hot water, which will be more even.
In order to properly balance the system, it is necessary to shut off the heating, let the water cool and open the valves on all batteries. To do this, remove the covers from them and turn them on with pliers.
Next, they connect the heating and go to the first battery in the circuit, regulate it and then, alternately balance others.
If they do not know the sequence, then when the system is turned on, they pay attention to their heating
It is important! Thermometers for radiators are installed on the return and supply pipes. Close the valve, and then gradually reopen it until a difference of 10 ° C (Fahrenheit 20 ° C) is established between the thermometer readings.
The same is repeated with all radiators included in a particular circuit. The result is a balanced and efficient heating system..
Do not be surprised if the valve on the last battery is fully open, since for good heating of the room, uniform operation (heating) of the entire system is necessary.
For efficient operation of the heating system and for high-quality heating of the room, it is necessary to balance the operation of the circuit. To do this, it is better to invite specialists who will quickly and efficiently complete this task, and if you want to do everything yourself, but do not know how to properly adjust the heating batteries, then read the instructions and the nuances of work.
- Bimetallic heating radiators: a new word in the world of heat
- Floor standing radiator – a step towards modern living space design
- The main differences between the device of a water-heated floor from other home heating systems
- How to correctly use mats for a warm water floor during installation
Mechanical thermostat setting method
It is important to set up the mechanical models correctly after installation. To do this, you need to close windows and doors in the room so that light and heat loss to a minimum, which will give a more accurate result of the heating system.
A thermometer is placed in the room, then the valve is turned back all the way. In this position, the coolant will fill the radiator completely, which means that the heat transfer of the device will be maximum. After a while, it is necessary to fix the obtained temperature..
Next, you need to turn the head all the way in the opposite direction. The temperature will start to drop. When the thermometer shows the optimal values for the room, the valve begins to open until the sound of water is heard and a sharp heating occurs. In this case, the rotation of the head is stopped, fixing its position.
Thermostat Installation and Adjustment Guide
If you don’t have a familiar plumber at hand, then you will have to do the installation yourself, it’s not so difficult.
The installation instructions look like this:
- if there is no bypass, then you will have to turn off the heating system for a while and drain the water from the system. With a bypass, everything will be much easier – you just need to turn off the battery from work and you can start installing;
One of the installation options
- the piping includes, in addition to the thermostat, 2 ball valves (needed to shut off the coolant current);
- if you plan to install a bypass, then you need to stock up on a pipe of the required length.
It is performed in the following sequence:
- first, you need to close all doors and windows in the room and generally reduce air exchange to a minimum (turn off the hood if any);
- then the valve opens completely and the coolant enters the radiator without any problems, you need to wait until the room warms up (the temperature should become slightly higher than required);
- after that, the thermostat closes, that is, the valve turns all the way to the left, you need to wait until the room cools down to an acceptable temperature;
- now it remains only to fix the temperature in the room at the achieved level. To do this, the valve slowly opens until the murmur of water is heard and it starts to heat up. On this do-it-yourself adjustment can be considered complete..
About the effectiveness of thermostats
There are many models on the market, but the effectiveness of most of them is comparable. On average, the savings in comparison with unregulated heating are about 15-20% per season. If the range of temperatures in winter is large enough, then the savings can reach 25-30%.
As for the cost, a high-quality thermostat can be bought for about 400-700 rubles, depending on the manufacturer. In this case, compatibility with radiator valves of almost all well-known manufacturers is guaranteed, for example, DiaNorm, Arbonia, Ferroli, etc..
Using a thermostat is a great way to improve the efficiency of your heating system. At the same time, the increase in efficiency is understood as the possibility of flexible adjustment of the operation of individual radiators, if the temperature of the coolant is insufficient for normal heating of the room, then the regulator will not help. The popularity of such devices is due not only to the low price, but also to the ease of installation..
The video shows an example of installing and configuring a thermostat for a battery with wide temperature control options and several operating modes..
How to choose a thermostat for heating radiators
In the countries of the post-Soviet space, up to 40% of energy resources are spent on heating and ventilation of buildings, this is several times more than in advanced European countries. The issue of energy conservation is more acute than ever, especially against the backdrop of a constant increase in the cost of energy resources. One of the devices that allows you to save thermal energy in the house is a thermostat for a battery, whose installation can reduce heat consumption by up to 20%. But for this it is necessary to choose the right regulators for the heating system and carry out their installation, which will be discussed in this article..
The main criteria for choosing a thermostat
Most of the regulators sold on the market have the same valve design, which are installed on the heating pipe. The main differences that you need to know when choosing a device are the way of adjustment and the device of the bellows. Therefore, the main parameters of the thermostat when purchasing will be:
- regulator type: mechanical, electronic electromechanical;
- diameter of the conditional section;
- cost and compatibility with other equipment;
- accuracy and ease of adjustment;
- appearance of the device;
- the need for periodic battery replacement.
Mechanical devices are inexpensive, reliable, and durable, but they complicate the precise adjustment process. Electronic controllers are accurate, easy to use, but expensive and require replacement of power supplies. Semi-electronic – a mid-price option with a high level of accuracy and reliability, but has increased overall dimensions and a separately installed sensor.
Varieties and selection of thermostats
By design, radiator valves are divided into 3 groups:
- as part of a headset for connecting heating devices.
If everything is clear with straight and angular thermostats, then the headset should be said separately. It allows you to simultaneously install a thermostat on a battery and connect it to pipes coming out directly from the floor. Although the price of such a headset will come out more than traditional pipe liners, but such a connection will look much more aesthetically pleasing..
Radiator connection headset with built-in thermostat
For two-pipe systems with a heating circulation pump, any of the listed valves is suitable, the only question is how to connect the heater, and from a technical point of view, they are all the same. Another thing is a one-pipe circuit, for it it is better to buy a special battery temperature regulator with an increased flow section of the saddle. Such thermostats have less hydraulic resistance, which is clearly seen in the diagram:
In addition to valves, you should also choose thermal heads for batteries, and here is immediately a recommendation: the valve and the head should be from the same manufacturer, and the mating threads should be the same. Standard valve threads are M28 and M30. In general, the choice of head designs is not too wide – apart from the usual elements with a built-in bellows, there are also products with an electronic control unit and a display. These thermostats are programmable and can be configured to maintain different room temperatures throughout the day..
Advice. When choosing a programmable thermostatic head, remember that it needs battery or mains power. In order for the thermostat to work correctly, you will have to monitor the presence of power.
In cases where it is planned to install heating devices behind screens or the windows of the room are supposed to be covered with thick curtains, conventional thermoelements may not function correctly. Due to the weak air movement in the radiator area, the temperature behind the screen and in front of it may differ by a couple of degrees, so in addition to the thermostat, you should buy an external sensor with a capillary tube.
The sensor behind the screen will control the thermostat by means of a capillary tube, focusing on the correct room temperature. There is also a more advanced version in the form of a remote regulator, which is also connected by a capillary tube. But here you need to be more careful: not all valves are suitable for such thermal heads, therefore, when choosing a thermostat, you need to consult with the seller.
Finally, a few words about the radiator valve manufacturers. There are a lot of them, especially Chinese, whose quality is more than questionable. Thermostats of the following brands are definitely recommended for use, their reliability is beyond doubt:
- HERZ ARMATUREN;
Advice. You should not buy or install thermostats on all radiators in your home. The rule is this: in order to ensure normal regulation, in each room it is necessary to equip with thermostats only those batteries whose total capacity is 50% of the total or more. In simple words: with 2 heaters in the room, the valve must be installed on one (which is larger), with 3 – on two radiators, and so on..
The valves are cheap, but at the same time ineffective regulating devices. Ball valves are often installed at the inlet to the radiator, with the help of which the water flow is regulated.
But this equipment also has a different functionality – shut-off valves. Valves are used to completely shut off the flow of coolant in the system. For example, in the event of a heater leak, ball valves located at the inlet and outlet of the radiator allow for repairs without stopping the heat supply and draining the liquid..
Ball valves do not regulate heating batteries in the apartment. They have only two positions – completely closed and open. The intermediate location only brings harm.
The fact is that inside such a faucet there is a ball with a hole, which in its normal position is not threatened, but in all other situations the solid particles present in the coolant grind it off and pieces break off from it. As a result, the tap will not be airtight and in the “closed” position, water will continue to flow into the battery, which is fraught with big troubles in the event of a device leak.
If one of the property owners decided to do everything to manage the radiators using ball valves, it must be remembered that they should be installed correctly.
This method is usually used in apartment buildings. If the wiring is single-pipe vertical, then a hot water pipe enters the room through the ceiling and a radiator is connected to it (read: “Correct adjustment of heating batteries in an apartment – comfort in the house and saving money”). The pipeline leaves the second entrance to the device and goes through the floor to the lower room.
In this case, it is necessary to correctly install the valves, since the installation of a bypass is mandatory. The bypass pipe is needed so that when the liquid flow to the radiator is closed, the coolant continues to circulate in the common house system.
In some situations, the tap is located on the bypass in order to change the amount of water passing through it and thereby adjust the heat transfer of the battery. To ensure greater reliability of the heating system, at least three taps are installed: two will be cut-off on the radiator and operate normally, and the third will become regulating.
But here we must not forget what position the devices are in. Otherwise, you can completely block the riser and you cannot avoid both the cold in the apartment, as well as unpleasant showdowns with neighbors and representatives of the management company.
Thermal valve – structure, purpose, types
A valve in a thermostat is very similar in structure to a conventional valve. There is a seat and a shut-off cone that opens / closes the lumen for the flow of the coolant. The temperature of the heating radiator is regulated in exactly this way: by the amount of coolant passing through the radiator.
Sectional view of the thermostatic valve
One-pipe and two-pipe valve wiring is different. The hydraulic resistance of the valve to a single-pipe system is much lower (at least twice) – this is the only way to balance it. It is impossible to mix up the valves – it will not heat. For systems with natural circulation, valves for one-pipe systems are suitable. When installed, the hydraulic resistance, of course, increases, but the system will be able to work.
Each valve has an arrow indicating the movement of the coolant. During installation, install it so that the direction of flow coincides with the arrow..
The valve body is made of corrosion-resistant metals, and is often additionally coated with a protective layer (nickel-plated or chrome-plated). There are valves from:
- bronze (nickel and chrome plated);
- brass (covered with a layer of nickel);
- of stainless steel.
Housings are usually brass or bronze with nickel or
It is clear that stainless steel is the best option. It is chemically neutral, does not corrode, does not react with other metals. But the cost of such valves is high and difficult to find. Bronze and brass valves are approximately the same in terms of service life. What is important in this case is the quality of the alloy, and well-known manufacturers carefully monitor it. Whether or not to trust the unknown is a moot point, but there is one point that is better to track. An arrow must be present on the body to indicate the direction of flow. If it is not there – before you is a very cheap product, which is better not to buy..
By way of execution
Since radiators are installed in different ways, the valves are made straight (straight through) and angled. Choose the type that will be better for your system.
Straight (straight-through) valve and angle
|Danfos, angular RA-G, customizable||one-pipe||15 mm, 20 mm||Nickel plated brass||10 bar||25-32 $|
|Danfos, straight RA-G, customizable||one-pipe||20 mm, 25 mm||Nickel plated brass||10 bar||$ 32 – $ 45|
|Danfos, angular RA-N, customizable||two-pipe||15 mm, 20 mm. 25 mm||Nickel plated brass||10 bar||$ 30 – $ 40|
|Danfos, straight RA-N configurable||two-pipe||15 mm, 20 mm. 25 mm||Nickel plated brass||10 bar||$ 20-50|
|BROEN, straight with fixed setting||two-pipe||15 mm, 20 mm||Nickel plated brass||10 bar||8-15 $|
|BROEN, straight with fixed setting||two-pipe||15 mm, 20 mm||Nickel plated brass||10 bar||8-15 $|
|BROEN, corner, customizable||two-pipe||15 mm, 20 mm||Nickel plated brass||10 bar||10-17 $|
|BROEN, corner, customizable||two-pipe||15 mm, 20 mm||Nickel plated brass||10 bar||10-17 $|
|BROEN, straight with fixed setting||one-pipe||15 mm, 20 mm||Nickel plated brass||10 bar||$ 19-23|
|BROEN, angular fixed setting||one-pipe||15 mm, 20 mm||Nickel plated brass||10 bar||$ 19-22|
|OVENTROP, axial||1/2"||Nickel-plated brass, enamelled||10 bar||140 $|
Radiator thermostat types
Due to the type of substance used, temperature controllers:
- gas filled.
Liquid thermostats for radiators are cheaper, but filled with gas react more quickly to changes in room temperature. In addition, their operation is less dependent on the temperature of the coolant. This is due to the fact that gas, unlike liquids, accumulates in the upper part of the device, that is, farther from the water heating system. Thanks to the temperature control method, these devices are mechanical and electronic.
This device works without electricity. Its work is based on the expansion and contraction of the working substance. The mechanical thermostat is cheap, so it is very popular. Its main advantages are:
- Low price
- Independence from electricity (does not cause problems with power surges and does not increase the cost of housing and communal services).
- Ease of use.
The only drawback is the manual adjustment of the coolant flow.
With such a regulator, the flow of water to the radiator is controlled without human intervention. Instead of a handle, it is equipped with an LCD display or a control button. Features of the electronic temperature controller:
- Setting the air temperature using a clock (for example, during the day, when no one is at home, the heating works at minimum power, and an hour before the owners arrive from work, the air warms up to a comfortable temperature).
- Day and night modes (different air temperatures depending on the time of day).
Types of thermostatic elements
There are two types of thermostatic elements:
- Thermostatic element with built-in sensor
- Thermostatic element with remote sensor
Built-in temperature sensor
The built-in sensor requires free air circulation around it. This is to prevent exposure to heat from the pipe. To avoid unwanted heating, the sensor is installed horizontally
- The remote temperature sensor is used in the following cases:
- If the radiator (respectively, the thermostat) is installed in a niche;
- If the regulator is located less than 10 cm from a wide window sill (more than 22 cm);
- With a radiator depth over 16 cm;
- If the axis of the thermostatic element is in a vertical position;
- If the radiator is covered with blackout curtains.
In these and some other cases, a remote sensor should be installed, since the built-in one will not be able to work correctly..
The sensor must be installed perpendicular to the radiator housing. Since in the case of parallel installation, its readings will be lost due to the action of warm air rising from the radiator.
There are three types of thermostatic elements for heating thermostats – manual, mechanical and electronic. They all perform the same functions, but in different ways, provide different levels of comfort, have different capabilities..
This control method is associated with some difficulties, since such thermostats maintain the temperature of the radiators in automatic mode. The basis of such a thermostat is a bellows in the form of an elastic cylinder filled with a gas or liquid with a high coefficient of thermal expansion. Heating up, the gas or liquid begins to increase in volume, due to which the adjustment takes place.
Thermostat device for a heating radiator with a mechanical thermostatic head
The bellows is connected to an element that blocks the path of the coolant. Before the gas or liquid in the bellows does not heat up, the stem is in the released position and the maximum amount of coolant passes through the battery. As it heats up, the gas or liquid increases in volume, which is transferred to the stem, which begins to block the passage opening, reducing the volume of the coolant supply. As the substance cools, its volumes decrease and the rod begins to move in the opposite direction, opening the passage opening and allowing the coolant to enter the battery in large volumes. As a result, the battery starts heating up again, increasing the temperature in the room..
Gas or liquid
In the presence of such a device, the temperature in the room is quite accurately maintained at + – 1 ° C, but in general the delta depends on how inert the substance in the bellows is. It can be filled with some kind of gas or liquid. Gases react faster to temperature changes, but technologically more difficult to produce..
Liquid or gas bellows – not much difference
Fluids change volumes a little more slowly, but they are easier to manufacture. In general, the difference in the accuracy of maintaining the temperature is of the order of half a degree, which is almost impossible to notice. As a result, most of the presented thermostats for heating radiators are equipped with thermal heads with liquid bellows.
With remote sensor
The mechanical thermostatic head must be installed so that it is directed into the room. This way the temperature is measured more accurately. Since they have a fairly decent size, this installation method is not always possible. For these cases, you can supply a thermostat for a heating radiator with an external sensor. The temperature sensor is connected to the head using a capillary tube. It can be positioned at any point where you prefer to measure the air temperature..
All changes in the heat transfer of the radiator will occur depending on the air temperature in the room. The only drawback of this solution is the high cost of such models. But the temperature is maintained more accurately.
|Danfoss living eco||6 ° C to 28 ° C||0 ° C to 40 ° C||Electronic||Programmable||RA AND M30X1.5||70 $|
|Danfoss RA 2994 with gas bellows||6 ° C to 26 ° C||0 ° C to 40 ° C||Mechanical||For any radiators||clip-on||20 $|
|Danfoss RAW-K Liquid Element||8 ° C to 28 ° C||0 ° C to 40 ° C||Mechanical||For steel panel radiators||M30x1.5||20 $|
|Danfoss RAX with liquid earphone||8 ° C to 28 ° C||0 ° C to 40 ° C||Mechanical||For design radiators white, black, chrome||M30x1.5||25 $|
|HERZ H 1 7260 98 with liquid earphone||6 ° C to 28 ° C||Mechanical||M 30 x 1.5||11 $|
|Oventrop "Uni XH" with liquid phone||from 7 ° C to 28 ° C||Mechanical||with zero mark||M 30 x 1.5||$ 18|
|Oventrop "Uni CH" with liquid phone||from 7 ° C to 28 ° C||Mechanical||without zero mark||M 30 x 1.5||20 $|
The size of the electronic thermostat for a heating radiator is even larger. The thermostatic element is even larger. In addition to electronic filling, two batteries are also installed in it..
Battery electronic thermostats are large
In this case, the movement of the stem in the valve is controlled by a microprocessor. These models have a fairly large set of additional functions. For example, the ability to set the room temperature by the clock. How is it fashionable to use it? Doctors have long proven that it is better to sleep in a cool room. Therefore, at night, you can program the temperature lower, and in the morning, when it’s time to wake up, it can be set higher. Comfortable.
The disadvantage of these models is their large size, the need to monitor the discharge of the batteries (enough for several years of operation) and the high price.
Thermal heads are more convenient than chokes
The battery thermostat can be one of three types:
|Three-way cork taps were used in the installation of the heating system of the Khrushchevs. They were installed at the jumper connection with one of the connections.
Depending on the position of the tap handle, the water flow was directed to the radiator, the jumper, or completely shut off.
|The needle choke resembles a screw valve, but the valve is tapered and part of the stem.|
|The thermal head regulates the permeability of the supply line due to the thermal expansion of a liquid or solid working medium – a material with a high coefficient of thermal expansion.
When heated, the bellows in the body of the thermal head is lengthened and extends the stem that overlaps the liner. When cooled, the rod returns to its original position by a return spring
The position of the three-way valve with the handle removed can only be determined by the heating of the radiator, bulkhead and riser.
The first type of thermostat can not be considered as a competing solution: it has long gone from the market and is found only in houses built before the mid-60s..
The throttle is regulated only in manual mode, while the temperature change in the room occurs with a delay of 1-2 hours: first, the water flow through the supply line stabilizes, then the radiator temperature slowly changes, and only then the air begins to heat up or cool down.
After changing the position of the throttle, the air temperature in the room will stabilize after 1-2 hours.
The thermal head, after basic adjustment (the target temperature set on it), maintains the climate in the room in a fully automatic mode. Timely adjustment not only maintains a comfortable temperature, but also significantly saves heat. Agree that in a private house with an autonomous heating system, this will not be superfluous.
The automatic thermostat saves up to 40% heat. Its cost will pay off during the first heating season from the moment of installation.
How to install a thermostat on a battery
The first recommendation is not to place thermal heads on all heaters within sight. Here the rule is the following: radiators, whose total power is 50% or more of all in one room, should be subject to regulation. For example, when there are 2 heaters in the room, then 1 battery must be equipped with a thermostat, whose power is greater..
Advice. If cast iron radiators are used as heating devices, then maintaining the microclimate with the help of thermostatic valves will be ineffective. The fact is that the work of cast-iron batteries is very inertial, after blocking the flow of the coolant, they radiate heat for a long time and vice versa, they accelerate for a long time. Installation of valves does not make sense, you will only waste your time and money.
The first part of the device – the valve – is recommended to be installed on the supply pipeline at the moment of connecting the radiator to the heating system. In the case when it is required to cut into the assembled system, then the supply line will have to be dismantled. This will bring some difficulties if the connection is made with steel pipes, you will need a pipe cutting and threading tool.
After the thermostat is installed on the radiator, the thermal head is mounted without any tools. It is enough just to align the marks on the bodies and fix the head in the socket by smooth pressing. The click of the locking mechanism will serve as a signal..
It is a little more difficult to install an anti-vandal thermostat, for this you need a 2 mm Allen key. Aligning the required marks, as shown in the diagram, you need to press the thermal head, and tighten the fixing bolt located on the side with a hexagon.
Installation of the remote sensor and regulator is carried out on a section of the wall free from interior parts and furniture, placing them at a height of 1.2-1.6 m from the floor, as shown in the diagram:
First, the mounting plate is attached to the wall with dowels, and then the body is snapped onto it with a simple push. The capillary tube is fixed to the wall with plastic clips, as a rule, they are included with the product.
In addition to the standard temperature control in the heads, the thermostat can be adjusted to the maximum and minimum limits, beyond which it will be impossible to turn the wheel. For this purpose, limit pins are provided at the rear of the product. You need to pull out one of them and, after debugging the system, insert it into the hole under the corresponding mark:
Installation of a thermostat taking into account the heating system. Scheme, instructions, nuances
It is best to install the thermostat directly on the radiator – in the place where the coolant is supplied to the heating system. The device must be located at a distance of at least 0.8 m from the floor, preferably in a horizontal position, in order to exclude the influence of warm air currents emanating from the battery. It should be noted that the thermostat should not be in a niche, be covered with curtains, grills, etc. All this will affect the correct operation of the device. Therefore, if it is not possible to provide suitable conditions, it is better to choose a thermostat with a remote sensor..
Owners of a one-pipe heating system should take care of installing a special pipe – a bypass. This jumper connects the straight and return pipes, so the diameter should be 1 size smaller than them. Otherwise, the thermostat installation algorithm is the same for any systems.
- Shut off the corresponding riser and remove the water from the radiators.
- Cut the horizontal supply pipes at a small distance from the battery.
- Disconnect pipes and shut-off valves from the radiator..
- Screw the shanks with the nuts of the new valve and thermostat into the battery plugs. Regardless of the heating system, the device is installed on the upper pipe, the valve on the lower one. At the same stage, a bypass should be installed – if necessary.
- Assemble the piping, place it in the chosen place.
- Connect piping to horizontal supply pipes.
Diagram: connecting the thermostat for the battery
How to properly install a thermostat on a battery with your own hands
No special skills are required to position the appliance. The hardest part of the process is the installation of a bypass in a system with metal pipes. If you have problems with the latter, you should invite a specialist who will help you assemble the device..
For work you will need:
- directly the device;
- shut-off valves;
- pipeline cut, fasteners or welding for its installation;
- a set of keys;
- tow or any other sealant.
Before starting work, the coolant must be drained. To do this, it is enough to close the valve located after the pipe branch from the main to the radiator.
It should be borne in mind that the lower tap, if any, must be opened, otherwise the liquid will get stuck in the battery.
Attention! The thermostat should be installed during warm seasons. For example, in the summer, before the start of the heating season
Draining the coolant, proceed to the installation of taps. A vertical cut is made in the pipe section near the radiator, disconnecting the line. Then do the following:
Installation and adjustment
The thermostat works well when it is installed in accordance with all the rules and taking into account some nuances. For its operation to be effective, durable, correct, it is necessary to initially provide free access, especially if these are mechanical control devices. The automatic thermostatic element must not be covered with curtains or radiator screens. From this, the analysis of temperature fluctuations may have errors.
Before direct installation of the thermostat, all water is drained from the heating system. Prepare the necessary inventory and installation kit for connection, not forgetting about the accessories. The device must be mounted perpendicular to the position of the radiator panel. It is worth remembering that the direction of the heat supply flow must coincide with the direction of the arrow of the thermostat.
If the position of the thermal head after installation is vertical, this will affect the correct operation of the bellows. However, this nuance has nothing to do with devices with a remote sensor or an external control unit. Do not mount the thermostat where the sun’s rays will constantly fall on it. In addition, the operation of the device is not always correct if its location is near large household appliances with thermal radiation. The same rule applies to hidden-type options that mask inside niches to increase the aesthetic appeal of the interior of the room..
How to do?
If there is no heating in the apartment or house during the heating connection, it is necessary to open the thermostat completely. This will prevent the valve from warping and the regulator from clogging. If the installation is carried out in a private house with two or more floors, work begins from the top, since warm air always rises
It is also important to take into account rooms where temperature fluctuations are more pronounced. These include the kitchen, rooms bathed in the sun, and rooms where households often gather.
Regardless of the scheme, the thermostat is always installed on the supply pipe. Until the valve is ready, the thermal head is not removed from the package. Horizontal pipes are cut at the required distance from the battery. If a tap was previously installed on the battery, it is disconnected. Unscrew shanks with nuts from the valve, as well as the closing element. They are fixed in the plugs of the heating radiator..
After assembly, the piping is attached to the horizontal pipes of the riser at the selected location. The valve is screwed to the battery inlet, making sure that its position is horizontal. It is possible to mount a ball valve in front of it
This will simplify the replacement of the thermostat, if necessary, will prevent its increased load, which is important when operating the valve as a shut-off valve
The valve is connected to the line supplying the coolant
After that, they open the water, fill the system with it and check the tightness of the connections, which is especially important when you need to put the device on old batteries. There should be no leaks or seepage of water
This must be eliminated by tightening the anchorage points. Preset the valve as needed. For it, the retaining ring is pulled back, then the mark is aligned with the required division. After that, the ring is locked.
It remains to install a thermal head on the valve. In this case, it can be fastened by means of a union nut or a latching mechanism. It is possible to install a thermostat on a battery if the material of its manufacture is aluminum or steel, as well as if the radiator design is bimetallic. Cast iron ones are characterized by high thermal inertness, so for such batteries it makes no sense to install these devices.
How to setup?
If it is necessary to adjust the thermostat in order to avoid confusion in the operation of the sensor, it is necessary to initially create the correct conditions in a particular room..
You can carry out the work according to the following scheme:
- close windows, doors, turn off existing air conditioners or fans;
- a thermometer is placed in the room;
- the valve for supplying the coolant is opened completely, turning to the left until it stops;
- after 7-8 minutes, the radiator is closed by turning the valve all the way to the right;
- wait until the falling temperature becomes comfortable;
- smoothly open the valve until the noise of the coolant is clearly audible, indicating the most comfortable conditions for the temperature background of the room;
- rotation is stopped, leaving the valve in this position;
- if you need to change the comfort temperature, use the thermohead regulator.
Installation and configuration
Before you buy and install a thermostat on a battery, you need to make sure that your heater is not equipped with a valve from the factory. This applies to steel panel radiators from some manufacturers, such as KERMI or HEIMEIER. For them, you only need to purchase the thermostatic head itself with a suitable thread and screw it into the corresponding socket..
Setting up and installing a thermostat on batteries with your own hands should not cause you much difficulty. Here are some guidelines:
- The valve is always installed only on the supply pipe.
- Observe the direction of flow indicated on the product data sheet.
- When installing, use American women so that the node can always be disassembled.
- The position of the valve and the head, as well as the distances to the nearest structures, are indicated in the diagram:
If the thermostat does not provide for the function of mechanical blocking of the coolant flow, then in order to service the radiator, an additional ball valve will have to be installed in front of the valve, as shown in the diagram:
Tips before starting installation
In addition, we want to give you some useful tips before installing the equipment:
- Be sure to read the instructions from the manufacturer, since the installation and configuration of each device may have its own characteristics, without knowing which, you can spoil the equipment.
- Seal all connections well, do not overtighten the nuts, so as not to damage the parts.
- Look in which direction the arrows on the thermostat housing show – they will correspond to the direction of the coolant flow in the system.
- If the installation will take place with a one-pipe heating system, be sure to provide bypasses, otherwise your thermostat will knock down all its work.
- Choose a place for installing the thermostat so that it is not exposed to direct sunlight and other sources of heat, such as household appliances, are not nearby. This will allow the instruments to work more accurately. Drafts are also contraindicated for them.
- In the coldest rooms, opt for electronic devices as they are more sensitive..
The rules are quite simple, but, despite this, they are very effective and will help you save on heating, beating off not only the cost of the regulators themselves, but also bringing them into a plus over time.
Thermal head installation
The element is fastened to the valve body in two ways – by thread or by simple snapping, as on DANFOSS products. In any case, first remove the protective cap from the valve box, then turn the head handle to the “max” position and insert it into the socket until it clicks, or slightly tighten it with a wrench (when the connection is threaded). If the thermostat head rotates normally, then the installation is successful..
Valves from some manufacturers, as well as all heads, have a presetting function. This is an advance limitation of the temperature control range, which is implemented in different ways in different models. For example, the HERZ ARMATUREN thermostat is limited by means of special pins, in other products a key is attached that fixes the head in a certain position..
The operational setting of the battery thermostat is carried out with a knob with a scaled and numbers (designations) applied. As a rule, the infinitely adjustable range is 16-28 ° C, and in the “*” position the valve will maintain the air temperature at 6-7 ° C so that defrosting does not occur..
In conclusion, a few words about the compatibility of thermostats with cast iron heating devices. In principle, there are no contraindications to installation, but there are doubts about the effectiveness of the thermostats. Cast iron batteries are massive and hold a lot of water, and therefore are inertial and will respond to automatic regulation with a delay. So here it is preferable to put an ordinary valve on the supply and balancing – on the return.
Installation of the device
The equipment installation process is simple, but if you do not want to carry it out yourself, you can always contact the professionals.
- Disconnect the battery from the system. To do this, close the ball valve or shut-off valve. Then drain the water from the battery, blow out the radiator.
- Remove the adapter. Before doing this, lay a lot of rags on the floor that will absorb the liquid. Secure the valve body with an adjustable wrench, and with the second remove the nut from the adapter pipe. Then remove the adapter from the device body.
Place for installation
- Installing the adapter. Screw on the flare nut and collar. In this case, pre-clean the thread, and wrap it with a locking tape. Wrap should be clockwise, doing 3-5 times, then smooth the tape. Assemble adapter, radiator and corner nuts together.
- Fit a new collar. Install the collar and the blind nut on the pipe. All actions are performed with a screwdriver.
- Installation of the thermostat. Fix the device in the directions of the arrows. Shade the nut between the regulator and the valve, fixing is done with an adjustable wrench. Tighten the nut at the same time. Do all the actions carefully. After installation, make sure the fastening is secure..
- Fill the battery with water.
Valves and taps
Such fittings are the heat exchanger of the shut-off device. This means that the radiator is adjusted by turning the tap / valve in the desired direction. If you turn the valve to the stop by 90 °, the water flow into the battery will no longer flow. To change the heating level of the heater, the locking mechanism is set to the half position. However, not all fittings have such an opportunity. Some valves may leak after a short time in this position..
Installing shut-off valves allows you to manually adjust the heating system. The valve is inexpensive. This is the main advantage of such fittings. In addition, it is easy to operate, and no special knowledge is required to change the microclimate. However, there are drawbacks to locking mechanisms, for example, they are characterized by a low level of efficiency. Battery cooling rate is low.
A spherical design is used. First of all, it is customary to install them on a heating radiator in order to protect housing from coolant leakage. Valves of this type have only two positions: open and closed. Its main task is to disconnect the battery if such a need arises, for example, if there is a risk of flooding the apartment. For this reason, stopcocks are cut into the pipe in front of the radiator..
If the valve is in the open position, the coolant circulates freely through the heating system and inside the battery. These taps are used if the room is hot. The batteries can be disconnected from time to time to reduce the room temperature..
However, ball valves must not be installed in the half position. With prolonged operation, the risk of a leak in the area where the ball valve is located increases. This is due to the gradual damage of the ball-shaped closure element, which is located inside the mechanism..
This group includes two types of fittings:
- Needle valve. Its advantage is the possibility of half-installation. Such fittings can be located in any convenient position: completely opens / closes the access of the coolant to the radiator, significantly or slightly reduces the volume of water in the heating devices. However, there is also a drawback to needle valves. Thus, they are characterized by reduced bandwidth. This means that after installing such valves, even in a fully open position, the amount of coolant in the pipe at the battery inlet will be significantly reduced..
- Regulating valves. They are specially designed to change the heating temperature of the batteries. The pluses include the ability to change the position at the discretion of the user. In addition, such fittings are reliable. You will not have to frequently repair the valve if the structural elements are made of durable metal. There is a shut-off cone inside the valve. When the handle is turned in different directions, it rises or falls, which contributes to an increase / decrease in the flow area.
What you need to work
To install a thermostat on a heating battery with your own hands, you will need:
- mechanical or electrical thermostat;
- shut-off valves;
- a piece of pipe and fittings or a welding machine for arranging a bypass in a one-pipe heating circuit;
- adjustable and sanitary wrenches.
In addition, you need to stock up on tow and a special paste to seal the joints..
Preparatory activities and installation
In a one-pipe heating system, a bypass must be installed before the thermostat.
Before proceeding with the installation, it is necessary to drain the water or other coolant from the heating system. To do this, shut off the taps at the entrance to the apartment from the heating riser.
This work is best done during the period when the heating season has not yet begun..
After all the coolant is drained, they proceed to installing taps on radiators. To do this, at a short distance from the battery, the horizontal pipes are cut off, after which the sections of the line are disconnected from the radiator. Further, the sequence of work looks like this:
- Depending on the material, a jumper is welded or installed between the supply and return pipelines in a single-pipe heating system.
- Remove the shanks with nuts from the shut-off valve and thermostat and screw them into the plugs of the heating radiator.
- Connect shut-off and thermostatic devices.
- Assemble the battery piping.
- The heating system is filled with a coolant.
After turning on the heating, it is necessary to inspect all areas for leaks and, if necessary, eliminate or repair defective places.
When installing the thermostat, be sure to think about the possibility of convenient settings for the device. To do this, provide sufficient free space and correctly orient the adjusting knob..
Instrument setup process
- Preparation consists in the elimination of factors affecting heating. These include natural and artificial wind circulation, additional sources of heat. Then a thermometer is placed near the device..
- The head of the device is turned against the clock’s course, fully opening. When the room temperature exceeds the norm by a couple of degrees, the element is returned to its original position..
- As the system cools down, the thermometer reading will coincide with that specified in SNiP. At this moment, the valve is opened.
- The turn is stopped when the valve body warms up and the noise of water appears. This step completes the setup.
Modern thermostats have a built-in scale. It sets the temperature that the device must create and maintain. In this case, correction is possible. It is done if the device has created the wrong climate..
Materials for the thermostat
Manufacturers produce thermostats from materials that will be resistant to metal corrosion. Additionally can be plated with nickel or chrome.
Valves are usually bronze, steel (stainless steel) or brass (nickel plated).
The price of a thermostat for a heating radiator depends on the materials that are used in production.
The stainless steel version is considered the best option. Stainless steel is a neutral metal that does not corrode.
Unfortunately, such material is quite expensive and not very easy to find..
Thermoregulators with bronze or brass parts serve the same and the cost is more affordable than that of stainless steel.
Thermostat installation procedure
To install a thermostat for heating radiators, first turn off the supply riser. Then the water is drained from the heating system and the installation work is started, which is performed in the following order:
- cut horizontal pipe connections at some distance from the radiator;
- disconnect the cut pipeline, as well as the crane, if it was installed earlier, from the radiator;
- detach the shanks together with the nuts from the shut-off valve and the thermostat valve; they are wrapped in the plugs of the heating battery;
- then the piping is assembled and installed in the selected place;
- then connect the installed piping with horizontally located piping pipes coming from the riser.
Heating systems are divided into two types: one-pipe and two-pipe. In a one-pipe heating system, when a thermostat is connected, it is necessary to change the connection diagram of the radiator by installing a jumper connecting the direct and return connections of the device.
This jumper pipe, otherwise called a bypass, allows the coolant to run when the heating battery is shut off by a thermostat. When implementing such a connection scheme, it is convenient to dismantle the device, having previously closed the valves shown in the figure under numbers 3 and 4.
Wiring diagram for a heating radiator thermostat in a one-pipe system
Wiring diagram for the radiator temperature controller in a two-pipe heating system
Legend for diagrams:
- supply riser of the heating system;
- thermostat (automatic or manual);
- bottom valve;
- manual or automatic air vent;
- reverse riser;
In a two-pipe heating system, regulation of the flow of coolant into the radiator can be carried out using the temperature regulator of the radiator of the heating batteries installed on the upper connection.
Installing the regulator
The process of installing thermostats on a radiator in a house is not difficult; if you wish, you can do it yourself. If you have no experience or desire, you can always contact professional installers..
Video instructions for installing a thermostat on a radiator using the example of an automatic electronic regulator Danfoss Living Eco:
The sequence of actions will be the same, regardless of the metal from which the batteries are made, the principle is the same for both aluminum and bimetallic radiators.
Step 1 Disconnect the radiator from the heating system and drain the water from it.
To do this, you need to close the ball valve or a shut-off valve that blocks the supply of water from the common pipe to the heater..
To drain the water, it is usually necessary to open the valve located at the point where the water enters the system. All taps must be shut off. After draining the water, the battery must be purged to expel air.
Step 2 Removing the adapter
- First, you need to cover the floor with a large number of towels, woven napkins or soft paper, any material that quickly and well absorbs water.
The body of the old valve must be fixed with an adjustable wrench; at this moment, with the second wrench, you need to unscrew the nuts located on the pipe and the adapter, which is inserted into the radiator body. Then you need to unscrew the adapter from the device body. In some cases, it will be necessary to use a valve built into the radiator.
Step 3 Installing the new adapter
The new adapter is installed on the battery, the union nut and the collar are screwed on.
It is necessary to clean the internal threads with a clean cloth, then wrap it several times with locking tape (white tap tape, sold in the plumbing department). Wrap with a strip of tape, clockwise 3-5 turns, be sure to make sure that the tape lies flat, if necessary, smooth it.
After that, the adapter, radiator and corner nuts are connected and tightly tightened..
It is necessary to install a new set of a metal collar and a blind nut on a copper pipe, the old ones are dismantled. If the collar cannot be removed, then its parts are carefully cut out with a small screwdriver, after which they can be torn apart. Since you will have to work with a screwdriver and a hacksaw directly and the pipe, you should be careful.
Step 5 Installing the thermostat
Install the new thermostat according to the arrows on its body. After that, it is required to tighten the nut located between the regulator and the valve tightly, while the valve is fixed with an adjustable wrench. At this moment, with the help of a second wrench, the nut is tightly tightened
Care must be taken not to damage the threads. After tightening, check the tightness and tightness of the connection again..
Step 6 Fill the radiator with water, check for leaks
Open the valve again and fill the radiator with water, carefully inspect all components for possible leaks.
After completing the installation, set the required temperature on the thermostat.
Usually for living rooms or walk-through areas, the regulator is left completely open, for bedrooms it can be halfway closed..
If in different rooms of the house there are different settings of thermostats, then you should keep the doors to the rooms closed, otherwise the device will incorrectly determine the air temperature in the room and try to equalize it.
Choosing an installation location
Regulators are needed for rooms in which there is a frequent change in temperature regimes (kitchens, rooms on the sunny side), as well as where it is necessary to constantly maintain a stable comfortable temperature (bedrooms, children’s).
In private houses, control devices must be installed on the second floors, since warm air accumulates there, rising from the lower floors..
The choice of the installation site for a particular device is determined by its type and the location of the radiator itself. Typically, the regulator is mounted between the radiator inlet and the coolant supply line..
For stopcocks, valves and mixing thermostats, their location relative to the space of the room does not matter, therefore, the installation location is determined only by the ease of access to them during operation.
Install thermostats on batteries with open space in front
For automatic thermostats with built-in temperature sensors, the location of their spatial location in the room plays an important role, since the correctness of their functioning largely depends on this..
This is due to the fact that the temperature sensor of the regulator measures the air temperature in the nearest surrounding space.
The value of the temperature measured by the sensor can be influenced by direct sunlight, drafts, additional sources that emit cold or heat (refrigerators, various electrical appliances, etc.), including the heating battery itself.
Place for the thermostat
The operation of the thermostatic regulator is influenced by:
- direct sunlight;
- air temperature outside the window;
- the speed of air circulation in the room;
- additional heat sources.
In multi-storey private houses, thermostats are primarily installed on the upper floors. This is due to the fact that warm air rises, contributing to an increase in the temperature difference along the height of the building..
In single-storey buildings, radiators located closer to the heating unit have a higher priority..
The best option is the installation of small-capacity radiators with highly sensitive thermostats installed on the supply section of the line. The only condition is that heating devices should not be covered with curtains, panels or grilles. Otherwise, you will need a thermostat with a remote sensor..
Thermostatic temperature controllers of heating batteries are installed on the supply section of the heating system directly in front of the radiator.
By the type of thermostat control, there are three types of devices, and this should also be taken into account if you need to buy a regulator for a specific room:
- With built-in sensors.
They are compact in size and can be used together with radiators, near which air circulates completely freely. Such thermostats work correctly at sufficient distance from the window (22 cm or more), when they are not exposed to drafts. They can also be purchased for installation on radiators located in a separate niche..
- Remote Sensor Models.
They are mounted on radiators in those rooms where there is a significant temperature difference between the heating device and in the room itself. Also, these devices are used when it is not possible to install the thermostat horizontally. The sensor is attached to the wall according to the supplied manual and connected to the bellows through a 2-meter capillary tube.
Such thermostats are needed where access to the device for setting the temperature is difficult..
Some manufacturers suggest using even more advanced systems that react to the readings of a sensor located on the street. But such models have a high cost, and it is not necessary to put them on each radiator separately. It is better to connect an external sensor to the heating boiler – this way it will work more efficiently.
Thermostats are installed on the radiators at the very entrance to the heat transfer circuit. When inserting regulators into a ready-made system, the instructions for performing the work will be as follows:
1. Dismantle the radiator by disconnecting it from the supply and return pipes.
2. Drain the coolant (at the same time it is worth rinsing the internal cavities from the accumulated sediment).
3. Screw the regulator shank onto the inlet. This is usually done through a quick-release nut with paired fittings (American) using rubber seals.
4. Install a shut-off valve to completely shut off the water supply to the radiator. In case of an emergency, a failed radiator can be immediately “turned off”.
5. At this stage, it is advisable to place the bypass, if it was not included in the circuit earlier..
6. After strapping the heating battery, connect it back to the general system, monitoring the tightness of the connections.
7. At the end of the work, a thermal head is put on the thermostat housing with a stem and pressed until it clicks..
8. If you decide to buy a vandal-proof device, you will have to additionally fix the head with a special bolt (you will need a 2 mm imbus wrench).
When the radiator with the thermostat is assembled, you need to close all windows and doors and configure the device. Adjust in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure correct operation of the thermostat.
The principle of operation of the heating radiator thermostat (video)
Thermostat setting. Professional recommendations
In order for the thermostat to function for a long time and correctly, adjustment is carried out immediately after its installation..
Steps for setting the thermostat:
- Close the doors and windows in the room, set the thermometer at the desired level.
- Turn the knob of the thermostat to the left until it stops, thereby opening full access to hot water.
- Wait until the temperature rises by 5-6 degrees Celsius.
- Turn the valve all the way in the opposite direction (to the right). The room will gradually get cooler.
- As soon as the temperature reaches the optimum level, the valve is smoothly turned to the left. When the battery makes noise, and its body becomes warm, then you can stop rotation, since it is this position of the thermal head that will provide a comfortable level of heating.
The thermostat setting procedure allows you to calibrate the instrument. It is the same for almost all devices. Calibration of some thermostats is carried out according to a different scheme, which can be found in detail in the passport of the device.
Thus, heating radiators with a temperature controller are practical and economical, especially for private houses. Thermostats are easy to install, do not require additional maintenance costs, create a comfortable indoor climate and save money spent on heating.
Frequent installation errors
The most common mistake is the vertical position of the head over the valve at the top of the radiator. Many users find this method to be aesthetic and convenient. But this negatively affects the operation of the element. The fact is that the hot air rising from the pipe heats the head – the temperature in this place becomes much higher than in the room. The device perceives this as exceeding the comfort level, decides that the room is hot, and turns off the radiator. As a result, the room ceases to be heated..
Improper installation locations also include areas where the air temperature is very different from the average room temperature. For example, the radiator is hidden in a niche, and a thermal head is installed there. It reacts to heat in an enclosed space and turns off the radiator. The same happens if the valve is located deep under the windowsill, is in direct sunlight, closed with blackout curtains, furniture, etc. Another incorrect option is to install a thermostatic valve in a place that gets under the flow of cold air, for example, at the edge of a window opening, where there are often drafts. In this case, the device will “think” that the room is cold – the heating temperature will rise, and unbearable heat will begin in the room..
As you can see, the wrong place of installation of the thermal head practically negates the point of its use. According to experts, it is better not to put the valve on the radiator at all than to carry out incorrect installation.
Remember: the installation location of the thermostatic head must be such that the average room temperature is reflected. Then the device will correctly respond to temperature and maintain a comfortable mode..
Step-by-step instructions for correct installation
Usually, the installation of the thermal head on the battery is carried out along with the installation of new radiators. To do this, you need to close the riser and drain the coolant remaining in the pipes into a bucket. It is best to carry out work outside the heating season..
Choosing a place to install the thermal head
Taking into account the errors in the installation of the thermostatic head, which we talked about above, we can draw conclusions about where exactly it is not worth installing the thermostatic head. What are the best options? It is important that heat fluxes from the radiator do not fall on it and that factors that can cause a false perception of temperature are not affected..
The photos below show common options for properly installing the thermostatic head on batteries. If it is mounted at the top of the radiator, it should only be placed horizontally. In the lower part, it can be mounted horizontally and vertically, since there are no strong heat flows of heated air – it rises up.
To fix the head on the radiator, it is necessary to cut the threads at the connection points. To do this, on the squeegees coming from the riser and the radiator, thread is cut using a die.
A locknut is screwed to the squeegee coming from the riser. It is wrapped with fumlent, and a thermostat is screwed onto it, but the fasteners are not tightened. Next, do the same with the squeegee coming from the radiator. The installed thermal head must be secured – simultaneously tighten both nuts with two adjustable wrenches.
Setting up the device
Close all windows and doors to keep warmth out of the room. Place a support in the center of the room, such as a stepladder. Place a thermometer on it. It should be at a height equal to half the height of the room. Turn on the valve of the thermal head to the maximum. The room will be warmed up to the maximum temperature. Watch the reading of the thermometer. The thermometer column will rise: as soon as the temperature rises by 5 – 7 ° C, turn the thermostat knob in the opposite direction. The flow of the coolant will decrease, which means that the temperature in the room will begin to decrease. Watch the drop in the thermometer reading. When you see the desired value, for example, 22 ° C, turn the knob of the thermal head to increase until you hear the sound of water in its body. You can memorize the position of the handle and make a mark on the body. Leave the thermostat in this position. Some devices have a temperature scale, and during the setup process, you just have to check with it..
Tip: at the end of the heating season, remove the thermal heads from the radiators. Prolonged inactivity can lead to sticking of the moving parts of the devices. Removing them will extend the life of important parts..
Now you know how to properly install the thermal head on the battery and how to avoid mistakes. You can easily cope with this task. It remains only to buy everything you need for installation – you can do it in our online store. We offer only branded products: radiators and thermostatic heads for them. Do not forget to purchase related elements: Mayevsky’s tap, shut-off valves and other useful little things, without which no heating system can do. If you need advice, call the manager of our company. He will help you choose everything you need.
Features of installation and maintenance of regulators
Thermoregulator installation diagram
After choosing the optimal model of the thermostat or valve for adjusting the heating temperature, you should perform their correct installation. The location of the reinforcement directly depends on its function and design..
Most often, the regulation components are mounted in the piping of a specific heating radiator. They are installed on the supply pipe or on the bypass. At the same time, for comfortable regulation of the temperature of the heating batteries, it is recommended to adhere to the following rules:
- The device should not be covered with decorative panels or other interior items;
- The service life of thermostats largely depends on the quality of the coolant. Therefore, a mesh filter should be installed in front of it, which will protect the valve seat from limescale;
- When installing the heating temperature control valve, follow the installation diagram. On the body of the device, arrows show the direction of movement of the coolant;
- Many thermostats and servos are connected to the mains. Therefore, it is necessary to provide a power supply to them..
Before installing and further adjusting heating batteries in an apartment, you must read the manufacturer’s instructions. It prescribes the installation conditions for the operation of a specific adjusting element.
One of the important indicators of apartment heating control valves is the maximum and minimum throughput. They must correspond to the current parameters of the system..
Maintenance of regulators and valves
Pressure testing is carried out only after installing the control valves
After installation, preliminary adjustment of the valves on the heating radiators should be carried out. For this, the temperature mode of operation and the pressure in the system must be normal. Then, by changing the degree of heating of the coolant, the operation of the control valves is checked. The system is tested in several modes. Alas, it will not be possible to independently adjust heating in an apartment-type house according to this scheme, since consumers do not have the opportunity to change the degree of heating of the coolant.
In fact, the operability of a particular element can be checked only when the district heating is started. Those. correct adjustment of heating radiators in the apartment is carried out during the heating season.
During the start-up of the heat supply system, the heating system of a private house must be completely adjusted. It should include the following steps:
- Checking the performance of taps and thermostats;
- Compliance of their actual parameters with passport data;
- If, during the control adjustment of the heating degree of the heating batteries, a faulty element is detected, it must be replaced.
In addition, it must be remembered that a number of external factors affect the operation of the system: the degree of thermal insulation of the house, the climatic characteristics of a particular region. This must also be taken into account when temperature regulation of the heating radiator..
Types of devices for obtaining information about the temperature inside the room
It is customary to divide devices for receiving and transmitting heating indicators:
- by the method of data transmission;
- by the method and place of installation;
- by data acquisition algorithm.
By data translation method
According to the method of data transmission, temperature sensors are usually divided into two separate categories:
- using wires;
Now the most popular devices are wireless temperature sensors that transmit information about the heating of air in the room and about the heating of water using a built-in transmitter. Installation of these devices is allowed both indoors and outdoors..
By method and location
Devices that measure the temperature in heat transfer fluids are also divided according to the method of installation and the place of attachment:
- Overhead. They are installed to the thermal circuit of the heating circuit of the room;
- Submersible. Such microsensors come into contact with the coolant (what flows in the heating system);
- Room. They are placed inside a heated enclosed space;
- Outdoor. Are located on the street.
In some devices, several types of temperature sensors can be combined for more accurate heating control.
By the method of obtaining readings
Thermal sensors are also divided according to the method of data collection. The following types of microsensors are sold on the market:
The first type of sensors is a pair of plates made of different metal alloys with an indicator in the form of an arrow. An increase in temperature leads to deformation of one of the plates, which creates pressure on the dial gauge. These devices are distinguished by their accuracy. True, their disadvantages include inertia..
Alcohol heat sensors are devoid of this drawback. They are sealed flasks with an alcohol solution. When heated, the alcohol expands, which helps to establish the current temperature. It is a rudimentary and reliable design. True, it cannot be called convenient for tracking indicators..
This microsensor is made up of two connected wires of two different metals. Due to the resulting temperature difference between the warm and cold ends, a current of 35-65 40-60 μV appears. This figure will depend on the materials used in the thermocouple..
A thermocouple is a fairly accurate heat sensor used to obtain information about the indoor air temperature and the heating of heat carriers. True, its disadvantage is the difficulty of taking indicators..
It is much easier to get temperature readings with thermistors. These devices are based on the principle of transformation of resistance indicators of materials under conditions of different heating. These micro-devices are distinguished not only by their accuracy, but also by their linearity..
Digital heat sensor for simultaneous measurements
Digital thermal microsensors are also widely used. One of the most popular of these sensors is the DS18B20. This device works on the basis of a microcircuit with three outputs. The device is able to receive data on heating from several microsensors working in parallel. In this case, the error in the indicators will not exceed 0.5 degrees..
Non-contact thermal imagers and irometers
These microsensors record thermal radiation emanating from bodies. In order to characterize such a phenomenon, a method is used to calculate the amount of energy released over a certain time from the surface of the body, falling within the wavelength range. Moreover, they do not come into contact with the heat carrier..
Quartz temperature transducers (piezoelectric elements)
Quartz thermal transducers (piezoelectric elements) can be used to obtain temperature data in the range from -80 to +250 degrees Celsius. This apparatus works according to the principle of frequency dependence on the degree of heating of the quartz element. The operation of the sensor is affected by the placement of the slice along the crystal axes..
Acoustic noise thermosensors
Heat detectors operate on the basis of the principle of obtaining information about the acoustic difference in electrical potentials arising from the heating of resistors. The method of using these devices is extremely simple: the noise coming from two identical elements is compared. In this case, one of these elements is in the previously known conditions for heating the air, and the second is not.
A separate category of devices operating according to the principle of changing the p / n transition indices resulting from temperature exposure. The voltage in this case will be proportional to the temperature effect on the transistors. This helps to simplify the calculation of this factor. The main advantage of these devices is their high precision. Also, their advantages include linearity in the entire measuring range..
Volumetric temperature measuring transducers
These devices operate on the basis of a simple and well-known principle of changing the volume of substances when they are heated and cooled. These temperature sensors are practical. Their working range of temperature measurements is in the range from -60 to +400 degrees Celsius..
Tips for the selection of thermal sensors
In the process of choosing thermal sensors, it is important to consider the following factors:
- support by the device of operation in the desired range of heating the coolant;
- the possibility of immersing the temperature sensor in a certain environment or placing it in an object;
- conditions for temperature measurements (in the case of thermal measurements in an unfavorable environment, it is recommended to use non-contact devices or those that are placed in an anti-corrosion case);
- the service life of the thermal device and the complexity of its replacement;
- technical specifications;
- output level.
In some cases, the size of the device and the material of its body will matter. In particular, this parameter will be important when using the sensor in residential premises, in new buildings..
Required number of heat sensors
When using traditional space heating with a gas boiler, one temperature sensor is used. If collector-beam heating of premises is used, then it will be necessary to install an individual temperature sensor in each room..
The data on heating the air in the room is transmitted by the temperature sensor to the controller. After that, the controller regulates the heating supply to a specific heat carrier to adjust the heating level of a separate room..
When using weather-dependent automation for heating systems, one temperature sensor is often enough. it is installed outdoors. Based on the data received by him, the automation regulates the heating of the air inside the living space.
These devices have gained popularity and are already used everywhere. They are mounted on: radiators of heating circuits, heating boilers and other devices responsible for heating the premises.
Before installing the heat sensor, it is recommended that you read the instructions attached to it. The instructions describe the main features of the installation of the device and the conditions for its use. Also, the instruction will help in choosing a place for installing the sensor based on its technical specifications and purpose. (this document is required for every equipment)
Installing a heat sensor on a radiator piping
Installation of the temperature controller is carried out in the hole of the radiator plug, located along the flow of water into the radiator. It is important to comply with the condition for installing the device in a horizontal position. This will make it possible to exclude the influence of the temperature of the water and the valve on its operation. In the event that a single-pipe heating system is installed in the house, then the installation of a bypass is included in the installation diagram of the heat supply regulator. Such a jumper ensures free flow of water in the heating system from the pipes supplying water to the batteries..
It is allowed to use a thermostat in a bellows connection. True, before that, it is recommended to study the corresponding installation instructions for thermostats..
Installation of an air heat sensor
The temperature sensor should be installed in the coldest room, where there are no drafts. Installation in a kitchen, living room, hallway or boiler room is not recommended. This is due to the fact that this can lead to malfunctions in the heating regulation system..
When choosing a place for a thermostat, it is important that the sun does not fall on it and does not heat it up. Also, it should not be installed near batteries and pipes of the heating system..
Installation of the temperature sensor is carried out as follows:
- a hole is made in the wall for installing the mount;
- the front panel is removed from the sensor, after which it is installed in the place previously prepared for its installation;
- contacts are connected to the heating cable, and sensors with terminals.
- At the final stage, the power cable is connected, and the front panel returns to its place.
If you have problems with self-installation, it is recommended to seek professional help. At the same time, it is important to make sure that the master has experience in installing similar sensors..
Leading manufacturers of thermostats
The following brands can be noted that have proven themselves well in this market:
- Danish Danfoss devices.
- Far thermostats manufactured by an Italian company.
- Bellows thermostats Herz made in Austria.
- Devices of the brands Honeywell, Kermi, Luxor, Prado, Purmo, Sira, which have many positive reviews.
Depending on the type of heating system and the installation conditions of the device, valve – thermal head sets in various combinations can be used to control the heat carrier flow. In one-pipe heating systems, it is recommended to install valves with increased flow capacity and low hydraulic resistance (DANFOSS product marking – RA-G, RA-KE, RA-KEW).
The same recommendation applies to two-pipe gravity systems, where the coolant circulates naturally, without forced induction. If the heating circuit is two-pipe with a circulation pump, then you should choose a valve with the ability to adjust the throughput (DANFOSS marking – RA-N, RA-K, RA-KW). This adjustment is quite simple and does not require a special tool..
When the issue of valve selection is resolved, you need to decide on the type of thermal head. They are offered in the following designs:
- With internal thermocouple (as in the diagram above).
- With remote temperature sensor.
- With external regulator.
- Electronic (programmable).
A conventional thermostat for heating radiators with an internal sensor is accepted for installation if it is possible to position its axis horizontally so that the room air flows freely around the device body, as shown in the figure:
Attention! It is not allowed to install the thermostat on the battery in a vertical position, the heat flux rising from the supply pipeline and the valve body will affect the bellows, as a result of which the device will not work correctly.
If horizontal mounting of the head is not possible, then it is better to purchase an external temperature sensor for it, complete with a capillary tube 2 m long.It is at this distance from the radiator that this device can be positioned by attaching it to the wall:
In addition to vertical mounting, there are other objective reasons for buying a remote sensor:
- heating radiators with a temperature controller are located behind blackout curtains;
- pipes with hot water pass in the immediate vicinity of the thermal head or there is another source of heat;
- the battery is under a wide window sill;
- the internal thermocouple enters the draft zone.
In rooms with high demands on the interior, batteries are often hidden under decorative screens made of various materials. In such cases, a thermostat caught under the casing registers the temperature of the hot air accumulating in the upper zone and can completely block the coolant. Moreover, access to the control of the head is completely closed. In this situation, the choice should be made in favor of a remote controller combined with a sensor. Its placement options are shown in the figure:
Electronic thermostats with display are also of two types: with built-in and removable control unit. The latter differs in that the electronic unit is disconnected from the thermal head, after which it continues to function as usual. The purpose of such devices is to adjust the room temperature according to the time of day in accordance with the program. This allows you to reduce heating power during working hours, when there is no one at home and in other similar cases, which leads to additional energy savings.
When there are small children in the house who want to try everything with their hands, it is better to install an anti-vandal-type thermostat with a casing that protects the device settings from unskilled intervention. This also applies to thermostats in other public buildings: kindergartens, schools, hospitals, and so on..