A little about decorative pillows
For the first time, pillows were used as a decorative element for a long time. With their help, designers set accents using products with a bright color or print..
Over time, this has become quite popular, most aspiring designers have adopted a simple but effective way to dilute the background of a room. Products made in different color palettes began to appear..
Note! How to make flowers from fabric with your own hands according to patterns and templates (70+ photos)
The lineup was replenished with goods decorated with stones, rhinestones, embroidery. And since they were quite expensive, housewives began to “parody” branded goods..
And after some time, the “parody” became more popular and in demand than the original. This surprised few people, because the desire to purchase something unique, and not a product from the assembly line, is quite normal and understood..
Most often, materials such as synthetic winterizer or holofiber are used as filler for decorative pillows. This choice is due to the fact that these materials hold their shape better than others and do not roll..
It is impossible to achieve this using cotton wool or fluff as a filler. In addition, one should not forget that the products made from them are quite heavy, while pillows from the same padding polyester are not only lighter, but also comfortable..
Therefore, if you want to get not just a beautiful, but also a high-quality product, we recommend that you use the above materials for filling.
Decorative pillows are very different in shape. The choice regarding the shape of the product depends on the purpose for which you want to use the item..
In the event that you plan to use the pillow not only as a decorative element, but also for its intended purpose, limit yourself to simpler forms. A rectangle or square shape is ideal..
For those products that will be used only as decor, you can choose absolutely any shape. Quite often you can find pillows not only in the shape of an oval or circle, but also in the shape of letters, animals, and other objects..
Such products look very creative and unusual. They can be successfully used to decorate a children’s room..
People receive information about the surrounding reality mainly with the help of their eyes. The main everyday irritant for many of us is the discrepancy between the appearance of certain objects and our own taste. Especially when it comes to things that fill our apartments and houses.
A person is so arranged that even ultra-modern decoration, new furniture sets and “smart” technology are not able to fully satisfy his natural desire to express his individuality. It is best to entrust the solution of such a difficult task to home textiles, namely decorative pillows..
These accessories fulfill five essential functions:
- They serve as a link between the components of the situation, making the design logical and holistic.
- Add attractiveness to the aesthetic component of the living space and the comfort of upholstered furniture.
- Favorably emphasize the style of the interior.
- Become accent pieces by diluting monochrome or neutral designs to help achieve color balance.
- Contribute to creating a relaxing, cozy, truly homely atmosphere.
Competently selected accessories can also act as a style-forming element of the interior. Such a result is possible if you pay due attention to the choice of decorative pillows..
Where to begin?
Have you come up with a great idea to decorate your interior with decorative pillows and are in a hurry to get to work? Then you should moderate your ardor and first think about what style your product will belong to..
Based on this, you can choose the most suitable shape, material and color palette. Always remember that the choice of fabric should be carried out according to the criteria and requirements that are imposed directly by the style..
The most popular are natural materials, which are most often used for sewing Provencal or Scandinavian-style decorative pillows..
And materials such as silk and satin are perfect for a classic style. For country-style rooms, fabrics with natural colors and rough textures work very well..
If your house has rooms decorated in high-tech style, then it should be mentioned that the style itself does not accept the use of decorative elements. This means that decorative pillows should be used with extreme caution..
To harmoniously fit them into the overall design of the room, take enough time to select the right color and shape. The most optimal solution, according to the designers, in this case is to sew a rectangular or square pillow made of artificial material. The fabric must be smooth.
Particular attention should also be paid to the selection of accessories. Especially if it acts as a decorating rather than complementary element. After all, only French and romantic styles allow the abundant use of accessories..
For other styles, this is completely unacceptable, since preference is given to a minimum of decorations. Of course, the product itself can be quite bright and catchy. However, the abundance of stones, rhinestones, buttons, stripes should not be.
Products decorated in this way will look ridiculous and inorganic. Therefore, if you do not want to violate the integrity of the style, do not get too carried away in the decorating process..
Features of interiors
The different character of the interior will entail the choice of different pillows..
- Classic style. Allows selection of geometrically correct elements. It is a square, rectangle, circle. Cushions are good in such interiors. Material – tapestry, silk, velvet, brocade, leather.
- Modern. Models with a modern photo print made of linen or burlap are ideal here..
- Pop art welcomes heart pillows, candy, sponges. This style is a mood, bright colors, fluffy and shiny fabrics are good in it..
- In hi-tech, metallic luster and strict forms are organic. Material – silk, brocade, leather, linen.
- Rustic country is interesting with cozy textiles. Pillows in a cage, in a flower, bright and soft colors from cotton, linen and wool are applicable here. Great in country and knits.
- Safari style will support textiles made of fur or decorated with animal prints.
Seasonal interior changes
It is the textiles in the living room setting that create the mood of its owners and guests at home. Sofa cushions are the most mobile and quickly replaceable decorative element.
- In winter, the sofa can be decorated with little pieces with Christmas motives. Products in the form of a gift boot, fabulous New Year’s stories will fill the room with a premonition of the holiday.
- Fresh greens and blues are good in spring..
- In summer, try replacing warm fabrics with cool linen, cotton and silk..
- Orange and red, beige and terracotta will return in the fall. Images of fruits and leaves will remind you of a bygone, sultry summer.
Recommended: Neck and shoulder massage pillow is the best option for resting after exertion during the day.
Types of decorative pillows
The simplest cushion is a square one. The sizes of the soft accessory vary from 30 * 30 to 50 * 50 cm.The choice depends on the model of the sofa: its dimensions, back height.
The next most popular sofa pillow is rectangular. It can be either close to a square or elongated. Up to the location along the entire length of the furniture.
The first two models have a second name – pillows..
The third form of a decorative pillow is a roller. It comes in different lengths and diameters, serves as either an additional armrest, or support under the back or head during rest.
Some styles will be decorated with round options with a button in the center. Dilute the classic combination of squares, rectangles. Makes the big picture softer.
In addition to the standard ones listed, there are also curly models: a star, a cat, a moon, a crown. Most often they are used in the design of a children’s room, but they are also appropriate in living rooms..
In the photo there are decorative pillows on a velvet sofa
The shape is not the only difference between decorative pillows. Decorating also varies:
- Turkish. A square or rectangle decorated with a contrasting oriental pattern.
- Oxford. The main difference is the border, 3-5 cm wide, around the perimeter of the cover.
- Quilted. The pillowcase is quilted with rhombuses, any shape.
Varieties of pillows
There are many different types of pillows. They differ in the shape of the headboard and other parameters. There are many different classifications, which creates some difficulties when choosing the right product.
Currently, pillows can be divided into decorative items, sleep models and special orthopedic products..
Before you start buying, you should pay attention to the following types of products:
- Bed. This is the classic version used for sleeping. There are many different variations that differ in shape, size, and packing. When choosing, one should take into account individual requirements, as well as the portability of certain materials. It is important that they do not cause an allergic reaction, ensure high quality sleep, and contribute to a good and pleasant rest..
- Orthopedic. Possesses unique properties. Such a product is usually made of synthetic materials. They adapt well to the shape of the human body, create optimal conditions for quality rest. Generally, products are recommended for people with poor sleep.
- Children’s. Manufactured in small sizes. As a rule, high-quality materials are used in the production that do not cause an allergic reaction..
- For pregnant. Designed to support and ensure comfortable sleep for pregnant women. They have orthopedic properties, do not contain synthetic fibers and allergenic substances.
- Sedentary. Designed to support the back while sitting. There are also separate designs for neck comfort. They provide an optimal body position, which reduces the stress on the vertebrae. As a result, the quality of rest is improved..
- Hiking. Typically, such products are made of materials that are highly durable and tough. This ensures a comfortable rest in hiking conditions..
- Decorative. They can be made from different materials. The main feature is a wide selection of different designs and shades.
Currently, manufacturers produce pillows in a variety of sizes..
There are different product classifications on the market today, so there may be some difficulties in choosing. For example, they differ in shape, size, type of packing, purpose and other parameters. When choosing, you should pay special attention to each of them in order to choose a really high-quality and durable model for sleeping.
A variety of forms of interior pillows allows you to become the owner of a unique interior.
Popular geometric shapes:
- The square is a classic version of the doom. Square models are universally suitable for decorating any models of sofas, armchairs and beds.
- Circle and oval – these shapes are typical for Turkish accessories..
- The rectangle is another trendy solution for standard sofa cushions. Combinations of rectangular and round accessories of different sizes look advantageous.
- Triangle and polygon variations. Original triangular and polygonal models help to achieve a balance of shape in the design.
There is simply no point in listing all non-standard forms, because the imagination of designers has no boundaries. Products can be both flat in the form of cheesecakes, and voluminous like an apple, a ball or candy, which, of course, is very beautiful..
When choosing decorative pillows, it is important to adhere to the general style of the room in order to avoid contradictions. Find out which accessories will harmoniously complement interiors in popular styles.
- Shabby chic. Any exotic options from natural / artificial fur, in the shape of hearts, lips or candies, richly decorated with ruffles, bows, rhinestones, sequins, bugles are appropriate here..
- Modern. In cases with modern 3D photo printing, wavy patterns, floral ornaments. Materials – linen, cotton, burlap. Classic colors – white, black, beige, additional – red, purple, green. If the pillows are arranged asymmetrically, it’s not scary, democratic modernity welcomes some rebelliousness in the design..
- Provence. Classic, round, oval or log-shaped with ruffles and a button in the middle. Light, mostly light, unobtrusive shades. Colors – polka dots, stripes, with small flowers or with a rooster – the symbol of France. Decorated with hand-made embroidery, lace, applique, flounces.
- Oriental style. Bright colors and luxurious materials, decorated with gold tassels, embroidery, fringe. Don’t forget about floor cushions, which can be scattered randomly on a soft carpet, giving the interior a similarity to the Scheherazade tent..
- In the sea. Solid white, blue, beige or light brown to match furniture or wood floors. Rollers and pillows with striped patterns in white and blue tones emphasize the marine nature of a romantic, cozy and airy interior. Fantasy thoughts – lifebuoys will come in handy in the nursery.
- American. White, black, gray or combined options from similar colors, square, flat can be. Beds are decorated with a wide variety of pillows, this style welcomes the abundance of soft decor in the bedroom.
The standard dimensions of a classic sofa accessory are 40×40 cm.For the design of non-standard furniture, models 50×50 cm or large rectangular models 50×70 cm are used.Children’s furniture can be interestingly beaten with small 20×20 cm dummies, and massive furnishings in spacious rooms can be supplemented with large accessories. To complement large-sized furniture, products of 70×70 cm are used.
Dimensions of orthopedic models
There are many things to consider when buying orthopedic products. You should buy a pillow only according to individual parameters. Otherwise, it will not be possible to get the desired effect – on the contrary, it is fraught with injuries. It is recommended that you consult with a professional doctor before purchasing. Only he will help you choose the right device, based on individual characteristics..
Orthopedic accessories are produced according to the individual characteristics of the person to whom they are intended.
How beautiful to lay out?
The composition of the placement of pillows is selected depending on the number, size and shape of the sofa..
On straight models, a symmetrical arrangement looks appropriate: take 2-3 pairs of different colors, place in a mirror. The center is left empty or the only one that differs from the rest is put.
Asymmetry is used less frequently. To prevent the overall picture from looking clumsy, use pillows in the same style, it is just that there should be more on one side than on the other.
In corner sofas, it is customary to consider the corner as the center – often all the decor is located there. Or use three points: corner + 2 armrests. You can place rollers on the sides.
The photo shows a symmetrical composition
Housewives who want to decorate their interior with exclusive, hand-made pillows have two options for needlework. If there are products of decent quality in the house that do not correspond to the style, shades of the decor, you can make new pillowcases that will provide the required transformation. The second method is more difficult, it will require sewing skills, the acquisition of filler. However, making a pillow from scratch provides several advantages, it provides the ability to:
- choose the desired shape, size;
- give the required degree of rigidity;
- get a guarantee of environmental friendliness, hypoallergenicity.
You can make a pillow of any required shape with your own hands.
The choice of needlework option depends on the availability of quality pillows, personal skills, experience, desire, and the amount of free time.
The most practical thing is to sew a pillow with your own hands – so you are guaranteed to get a product of the desired color, shape and softness..
What do they have inside?
Decorative sofa cushions are filled with synthetic or natural, more expensive material.
The basis of any synthetic filler is 100% polyester. The soft, silky material does not cause allergies, down mites do not live in it. Many products are made from it, among which the most popular are:
- Holofiber. It consists of siliconized fibers that perfectly retain the shape of the product. It is a non-flammable material that does not absorb moisture and unpleasant odors.
- Fiberlon. They are made in layers. It is a “breathable” material capable of rapid recovery..
- Comforrel are numerous elastic balls. Products with filling easily take the shape of the body. They are comfortable and easy to clean..
- Hollophane – intertwined hollow fibers that provide a strong springiness to the structure. Similar to natural fluff, but washable.
- Sintepon is the most inexpensive, but also short-lived material.
- Elite sofas are sometimes equipped with pillows filled with duck or goose down.
- Small items consist of a filler and a cover. Large models are usually multi-layered. They have a core made of latex or foam rubber, wrapped in a layer of comfortable filler and lined with a cover.
The unspoken standard of this product is a size of 30 by 30 cm. It is not difficult to make a pillow of this size – a simple master class will help. To do this, you will need: a piece of plain light cotton fabric, a ruler, a simple pencil, threads in the color of the fabric, scissors, filler.
First, you need to cut the fabric by drawing a rectangle with sides 60 by 30 cm.Cut the workpiece taking into account the seam allowances – leave 1-2 cm of fabric on each side. Fold the cut in half, wrong side out, to form a square, and sew the edges, leaving a small pocket..
Turn the blank out through the pocket and fill it with filler. It is best to use a hypoallergenic holofiber for this purpose. Then sew the pocket with a blind seam.
Sewing a pillowcase on such a pillow is easy – just increase the length and width of the pattern by 10 cm, and insert a thin zipper into one of the sides of the pillowcase.
A cloud-shaped pillow can be a cute and soft element to the side of a crib. To make it you will need:
- natural cotton fabric (light blue, blue, white or turquoise);
- cotton threads in the color of the fabric;
- floss (black and pink);
- floss needles;
Draw the outline of the future product on paper, while making the lower part of the cloud even. Transfer the pattern to the fabric and cut out 2 pieces of the pillow, taking into account the allowances. On one of the parts of the workpiece, using a pencil, draw closed eyes, a mouth and a blush and embroider them with floss.
It is categorically impossible to use ready-made doll eyes, buttons and other accessories – a child can easily tear off small parts that can easily fall into the stomach or respiratory tract.
Next, pin the parts with pins with the front parts inward and sew the edges along the outlined contour, leaving a pocket at the bottom. Turn the product through the resulting pocket, fill it with holofiber and sew it by hand
Trendy knitted throws and pillows are increasingly appearing in design magazines. Such things are quite expensive, and knitting them yourself is too long and difficult..
It is much easier to make a “knitted” pillowcase – by altering an old chunky knit sweater.
The knitted fabric is cut in the same way as the simple one, with one difference – it is best to carefully glue the edges of the cut with textile glue so that the pattern does not “crumble” when stitching. Further, the pillowcase can be sewn in the usual way..
Decorations made of fur will effectively complement a room in a medieval style. Soft and fluffy pillows will look harmonious not only in the hall, but also in the nursery. Put such a product on the floor, and it will be convenient for the child to enjoy games in the warmth.
Sew a thing out of natural or artificial fur. An economical option is to make one side with fur, and make the other from fabric. Minus – this model quickly accumulates dust, so you will have to wash it often.
Cushions made of felt look comfortable in the interior. This non-woven fabric is made from artificial or natural fibers. During cutting, the felt does not sprinkle, it has no wrong side or front side, so it can be sewn or glued in any form. Felt products are pleasant and warm to the touch.
A practical option for the home – soft and comfortable felt pillows
Beautiful multi-colored applications are made from this material. The main part of the pillowcase can be sewn from terry or linen fabric, and various details can be cut out of felt to compose a pattern. Baby pillows with pasted patterns in the form of butterflies, roses or owls look pretty pretty.
How to match to the sofa?
When choosing pillows for a sofa, make sure that they fit according to:
Living room decor options
There are many color combinations that can be made on Itten’s circle. The simplest and most commonly used:
- Monochrome. The color of the pillows repeats the upholstery, but one or two shades darker or lighter (beige – brown).
- Analogy. Close to each other shades are selected: blue – green, red – orange, white – black.
- Contrast. The tones are located opposite each other in the color wheel: yellow – purple, red – green.
Putting pillows on the sofa by size means keeping the proportions. A small sofa requires small decorative pillows, massive, respectively, large. The simplest formula: a sofa cushion should be 5-10 cm less than the height of the back. Exceptions are models with a low back and a wide seat or a narrow seat and a high back. In this case, the dimensions are selected according to the seating position..
The material of the cover is selected either repeating the upholstery or contrasting with it. The choice depends on the color: if the cushions are in tone, then the material is contrasting. If the color is bright, the same upholstered fabric is appropriate.
It is advisable to choose removable covers for decorative pillows – you can wash or replace pillowcases at any time.
General rules for the selection of decorative pillows
Color and texture are the main selection criteria that require special attention. Cushions that match the color of the sofa or are made from the same upholstery are the most common mistake.
The only thing that a modern interior does not tolerate is banality and boredom. Such, at first glance, the most innocuous principle of decorating disguises pillows, introducing them into the category of unnecessary decor..
In all cases, without exception, the impression of a piled up space is created, which hardly contributes to comfort..
It is also controversial whether the cushion covers are made of the same material as the curtains or are perfectly matched to the tone. It is often used in two-tone interiors that leave a lot to be desired in itself..
Such a decision, even in the case of using expensive finishes and furniture, crushes with an unnatural and lifeless monotony. It is the decor of the third color that can save the situation..
Do not rush to sew cushion covers from the remnants of upholstery or curtains. This conservative and outdated technique can only be used in the rare cases when the owners of the house have decided to fanatically stick to the retro style they know..
The use of simple single-color pillows cannot be rejected as categorically. But in most cases, especially with single color sofas and curtains, they also create a boring monotony..
Another iron rule when choosing is design. Whether you buy ready-made pillows, sew them yourself or make an order in a special salon, you must first imagine how many pillows and what sizes you need to purchase, and then choose the color and texture.
Another option is to gradually replenish the pillow set, starting with the purchase of one or a pair of decorative pillows. But in this case, you will need to keep in mind the finished image..
In an integrated approach, several parameters are taken into account – color, texture, number, shape and size – which, as a result, should form a harmonious combination, convenient to use and pleasing to the eye..
Contrast is the basis of selection
There are two types of contrast: according to color saturation and according to the conditional color wheel, which consists of colors visible to the human eye, located along the light spectrum..
In the first case, the ratio of the colors of the upholstery of upholstered furniture and the pillow is selected according to the light-dark principle. The range of tone should be large enough for the pillow to stand out clearly against the background..
The second option is to select colors located on opposite arcs of the color wheel. Examples of contrasting pairs: orange and blue, red and green, purple and khaki, purple and yellow.
It is logical to assume that in the case when there is a pattern on the pillow or upholstery, the main color is usually taken as the basis of the contrast.
But you can also create a contrast with only one, not necessarily predominant, color, while observing the principle of light and dark. This mechanism, which is complex in presentation, is quite simple in the case of visualization..
So, for example, black and white pillows with a geometric pattern look good on a white sofa, in the case of a predominance of black. Cushions with red embroidery on a light background are suitable for dark green upholstery..
Fans of restrained and monochrome colors can combine colors in halftones, but at the same time decorative pillows will need to be highlighted due to the difference in textures. Silk, velvet, fur-like fabrics that differ from the upholstery of the sofa will help to emphasize the decor.
Combination of pillows
With the classic symmetrical arrangement of two pairs of decorative pillows on the sides of the sofa, also in the case when creative disorder is imitated, the same principle of contrast between dark and light is used: the first pillow is combined with the sofa, the second with the first.
That is, if the sofa is dark in the background there are light pillows, in the front there are dark.
These rules are just a guideline for combining different textures, shapes and sizes of decorative pillows..
Modern interior design concepts open up ample opportunities for realizing the creative potential of each person. And you can start this process with the help of the multi-style design and European quality of Ikea pillows..
In rooms where upholstered furniture is used, you can always decorate or refresh the atmosphere by using such an attractive interior accessory as decorative pillows. They will look great on a sofa or armchair, on a couch or sleeping bed..
Instead of a headboard or sofa, it is important to use hanging models that will make the room even more comfortable. The headboard pillows are mounted on the wall (in everyday life it is very convenient, as they are quite soft). Most often, instead of a backrest, two small or one large pillow are used. With their help, it is easy to refresh the interior – it is enough to change the color of the covers (for light green, blue, cream, etc.).
If desired, the headboard is made of products in several rows; for this, the required number of hanging pillows is selected. Complementing a bench or a wide double bed will turn out to be 6-9 dumbbells.
Stylish decorative pillows
We offer to buy designer pillows in the Fields online store at a great price. Here are models of a wide variety of styles and colors. You can choose a youth option, which is ideal for decorating a room, the interior of which is made in a modern style. Or you can buy a decorative pillow made in a strict, classic aesthetics using traditional color combinations..
When choosing which decorative pillows to buy in the assortment of our online store, it is also worth considering the size of a particular model. A large accessory will look better on a large sofa, and a small option is better for an armchair..
Couch Pillow Clothes
Covers can serve as a bedside-box or be removable. They are made from a wide variety of fabrics. This is an exquisite tapestry, shiny silk, delicate suede, decent velvet, noble brocade, democratic jeans, rough burlap, magnificent linen, fluffy fur and expensive leather. Large originals can purchase pillows made of bonded aluminum plates, reminiscent of ancient chain mail..
Retro interiors will wonderfully decorate products with old photographs. The image is usually applied to natural fabrics (linen or cotton) by direct printing. Special permanent ink will not fade, rub or fade.
Dirt-repellent treatment gives some models the opportunity to use them on outdoor terraces and garden sofas.
The designer’s boundless imagination is manifested in the finishing of the covers. Sofa cushions are decorated with original clasps, unusual ties, knots and bows, incredible buttons, colorful feathers. Laces and tassels, folds and tucks, ruffles and frills, beads and rhinestones look extremely exquisite in products.
How to sew a decorative pillow cover
The independent process of making a decorative element involves two main stages: sewing a cover, which then needs to be filled with foam rubber, and designing a decorative pillowcase.
First you need to make a pattern by drawing the dimensions and shapes of the product on paper. Then outline the contours on the fabric according to the scheme and add 1-2 cm under the seam on each side. The pattern is transferred to the material, which is pre-folded in half with the front side. The result is 2 parts of the cover.
Sew the cover on all four sides, leaving a hole for the filler. After – it must be sewn up. When making a pillowcase, you can use the same pattern, but add an additional 2-3 cm on the sides (under the seam). Do not forget to leave a hole on one side (so that it is convenient to remove the cover). It is important to sew a zipper here using a blind seam or hooks, buttons, Velcro. To do this, in the process of sewing, leave a smell of 5 cm.
Combined decorations, playing with shades, pillows of various shapes will help to arrange the soft corner in an unusual way. It is not difficult to decorate a pillowcase or sew a cover on your own, it is important to adhere to the basic recommendations.
As with any home textiles, interior pillows require regular maintenance. Products with natural fillers are systematically treated with a quartz lamp and ventilated. Fabric covers are washable, with the exception of velor and velvet, which are recommended to be exclusively dry cleaned with a special brush.
A couple of times a year you need to use the services of dry cleaning: professional treatment of pillows with steam and special. works wonders by means. Such procedures are able to return an attractive appearance to products, which is especially important for expensive accessories made of genuine leather..
Chair pillows are made no more complicated than standard ones, but you need to create patterns yourself, depending on the chair model.
The choice of designers: original decorative pillows
Interior designers often choose original pillows, as they are able to color the situation and bring zest to the interior. We present pillows from well-known brands, which guarantees their quality and environmental friendliness of the materials used in their production. When choosing, you can focus solely on your own taste and not worry about the quality of the purchased product. High quality decorative pillows made from natural materials.
Photo of cushions for the sofa